Listed below are the new features and fixes we've added to Storyline 360 since its initial launch. Updates are free for Articulate 360 subscribers. Just open the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for Storyline 360. Details here. Check out our feature roadmap to know what's coming next.
November 29, 2022 (Build 3.70.29211.0)
- New: Define two actions for a single trigger instead of needing multiple triggers. Set up conditions to determine which action gets executed.
- New: Streamline your design workflow to create uniquely customized courses, now with a persistent color selector that lets you organize custom colors into different palettes.
- Enhanced: We simplified the published output by removing
Storyline output from the folder name.
- Enhanced: Hyperlinked properties on the Publish window are now blue to indicate that they’re clickable.
- Enhanced: Scroll bars on slides, layers, and slide masters now meet color contrast guidelines.
- Fixed: Text boxes that animate by paragraph might not load consistently.
November 7, 2022 (Build 3.69.28997.0)
- New: Create quizzes faster. Set default slide layer properties, such as accessibility attributes, for feedback masters and layouts.
- Enhanced: Notify learners when they lose their internet connection so they don't lose their progress.
- Fixed: NVDA screen readers incorrectly announced text boxes and scrolling panels.
- Fixed: Learners could get stuck on the correct feedback layer when they answered a quiz question correctly, then exited and resumed the course.
- Fixed: Copying and pasting step-by-step slides could reset the starting and ending frames to zero seconds.
- Fixed: Timeline scrubbing didn't work on lists animated by paragraph.
October 6, 2022 (Build 3.68.28887.0)
- Fixed: Segoe UI fonts could cause Storyline 360 to crash when previewing or publishing.
September 22, 2022 (Build 3.68.28820.0)
- Fixed: Storyline 360 could crash when creating new theme colors.
- Fixed: M4A audio files wouldn't import.
September 20, 2022 (Build 3.68.28773.0)
- New: Keep track of third-party software components in Articulate 360 to comply with your organization's security practices. Visit the Help tab on the Storyline 360 ribbon and click 3rd Party Software.
- Enhanced: Easily adjust object timing in minutes and seconds. You no longer need to convert values to seconds only.
- Fixed: Project files might not save due to low system memory on computers with Intel Iris Xe Graphics hardware.
- Fixed: Screen readers didn't always announce interactive object states, expanded markers, or slide numbers in the player menu.
- Fixed: Screen readers didn't announce the title of the resume prompt as heading level 1, and they incorrectly announced the invalid-answer message as heading level 3.
- Fixed: The visible focus indicator sometimes disappeared from player controls when using a screen reader.
- Fixed: Screen reader users couldn't activate hyperlinks that had custom alt text.
- Fixed: Closed captions sometimes displayed in the middle of the slide on mobile devices in landscape mode.
- Fixed: Learners couldn't click resources in the classic player on mobile devices.
- Fixed: The first SVG image in a project could replace all other SVG images when previewing or publishing a course.
- Fixed: The full-screen toggle disappeared on slides with custom player settings.
August 23, 2022 (Build 3.67.28569.0)
- New: Go big. Add a player toggle to let learners view courses in full-screen mode.
- New: Let learners print individual slides, such as certificates, with a single trigger.
- New: Easily renumber scenes in story view so they appear in the order you want.
- New: Easily combine multiple must-pass quizzes into a final result slide using a prebuilt template that's accessible by default.
- Enhanced: Assign unique names to your quiz result slides, making it easy to identify the corresponding built-in variables for each quiz.
- Enhanced: Create slides faster. Swap out variable references right from the context menu.
- Fixed: Learners couldn't use keyboard navigation to access the previous and next buttons after interacting with a lightbox, and the focus indicator could disappear after closing a layer.
- Fixed: Screen reader users couldn't use arrow keys to navigate through scrolling panels, and screen readers might announce check boxes twice.
- Fixed: The numbers were missing from sequence and ranking drag-and-drop questions.
July 28, 2022 (Build 3.66.28355.0)
- Fixed: Firefox 103 wouldn't load courses with media on the first slide.
July 19, 2022 (Build 3.66.28270.0)
- New: Scrub the timeline to quickly see when timed elements appear and disappear on the stage without previewing the entire slide.
- New: View and adjust the duration of object animations right on the timeline.
- New: Quickly toggle between an object's current state and its hidden or disabled state. Learn more.
- Enhanced: Choose from four new chevron icons for your buttons and markers.
- Enhanced: Following Microsoft's lead, we ended support for Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) and removed the publish-to-CD option from Storyline 360. Learn more.
- Fixed: Publishing a project with the previous update caused larger file sizes in the published output.
- Fixed: We fixed a couple of issues with player navigation buttons on mobile devices. Buttons were visible when they should've been disabled or hidden, and the Next button was disabled when revisiting a slide.
- Fixed: Aligning objects to the playhead or cue point extended the timeline, even when you selected the "Show Until End" option.
June 21, 2022 (Build 3.65.28121.0)
- New: Enable all learners to interact with videos via accessible controls that match the modern player style, exceed color contrast guidelines, and communicate perfectly with screen readers. Learners can even change the playback speed, switch to full-screen mode, and use picture-in-picture mode to move videos to a floating window.
- New: Take advantage of new quiz result slides with fresh designs that have color and contrast accessibility baked right in.
- New: Define theme colors for correct and incorrect quiz elements, such as icons and review banners, to keep your designs consistent.
- Enhanced: We updated the embedded version of Chromium to 101.0.4951.67 in Storyline 360.
- Fixed: Some Czech player text labels weren't translated correctly.
May 24, 2022 (Build 3.64.27845.0)
- New: Identify a slide layer as a modal dialog when you don't want learners to interact with anything else in the course while the layer is open. Dialog layers overlay the browser window and dim other content, creating a familiar navigation experience for everyone, including screen reader users.
- New: Use the question result variable to trigger different quiz review feedback based on how learners answer a question. The variable is set to true when they get it right and false when they get it wrong.
- Enhanced: Rename and reorder object states so they're easier to find.
- Enhanced: The Content Library 360 media browser remembers your previous search results and the last asset you selected. Quickly pick up where you left off to find related images, videos, or icons on your next search.
- Fixed: Storyline 360 could jump to the top of the timeline panel after pasting objects to the bottom of the stack.
- Fixed: When revisiting slides, scrolling panels didn't return to their initial state as expected.
- Fixed: The accessibility focus order didn't follow the correct path for feedback layers when using a screen reader.
May 3, 2022 (Build 3.63.27674.0)
- Fixed: Images were blurry when scaled down.
April 20, 2022 (Build 3.63.27628.0)
- New: Create slides faster with time-saving upgrades to the timeline. Multi-select objects and move them all at once. Choose where pasted objects appear in the stacking order or even paste them into an existing group. Align objects to the playhead or vice versa. And when the timeline is too long, you can instantly reset it to five seconds or shorten it to the object with the longest duration.
- New: Control what happens when copying and pasting objects. Keep or discard their source duration, start time, animations, and triggers. Learn more.
- Enhanced: Customize the accessibility focus order faster. Select multiple objects, then move or remove them all at once.
- Enhanced: Storyline 360 helps you publish faster by setting your default course title to the title placeholder on the first slide.
- Fixed: We improved how Storyline 360 handles images during import and in the published output, resulting in crisper images.
- Fixed: Storyline 360 would generate an error after inserting a large video.
- Fixed: Dragging the seekbar displayed objects on the slide even when they should've been hidden.
March 30, 2022 (Build 3.62.27443.0)
- Fixed: Slides with objects that animated by paragraph didn’t load when the project used classic text.
March 22, 2022 (Build 3.62.27371.0)
- Fixed: Storyline blocks in Rise 360 courses could be off-center.
- Fixed: Screen readers incorrectly announced some bullet symbols and bulleted lists.
- Fixed: We fixed some unexpected issues with markers. Marker labels could display after opening a layer or appear in front of other objects after learners clicked or hovered over them.
- Fixed: Pasting hyperlinks into Storyline 360 could result in duplicate hyperlinks or cause Storyline 360 to crash.
February 15, 2022 (Build 3.61.27106.0)
- New: Designing slides with variable references just got easier. Variable placeholders display their default values on the slide stage so you know how they'll look in your published output. Learn more.
- Enhanced: We removed Tin Can API references from Storyline 360 in favor of the official name of the LMS standard—xAPI.
- Fixed: We fixed a few issues with variables. The
Project.SlideTitle variable with bold formatting didn't display correctly. Renaming variables and then importing slides with those variables into another project resulted in duplicate variables.
- Fixed: The accessibility focus indicator didn't change to accommodate slide objects after resizing the browser window, and the focus indicator could disappear when revisiting slides and layers.
- Fixed: When using a screen reader, keyboard shortcuts didn't adjust the volume slider or move focus between glossary terms.
- Fixed: Screen readers didn't announce alt text for data-entry fields and incorrectly announced expanded and collapsed states for the sidebar.
- Fixed: The
goodbye.html page wouldn't display in an LMS.
- Fixed: Some touchscreen gestures could cause playback issues on mobile devices.
January 18, 2022 (Build 3.60.26947.0)
- New: Add buttons to marker and hotspot labels in 360° images so learners can trigger specific actions, such as launching a website or downloading a document.
- New: Exclude specific markers and hotspots from progress tracking in 360° images to capture more accurate results. Learn more.
- Enhanced: In the 360° image editor, the Media tab is now called Label to better reflect the context of the controls on the ribbon.
- Enhanced: Quickly swap the current SVG for a different one. The SVG Tools tab now includes a "replace picture" option on the ribbon.
- Fixed: Text with center or right alignment didn't display correctly.
- Fixed: Quiz timers reset to zero seconds when refreshing the browser tab or exiting and resuming the course.
- Fixed: We fixed several localization issues. Copying Hindi text from a Word doc and pasting it into Storyline 360 resulted in duplicate text. Arabic text overlapped with bullet points in the notes panel.
- Fixed: Changing the line spacing to 1.5 would offset hyperlinks in the accessibility focus indicator in the published output.
- Fixed: The object name didn't update on the timeline when replacing one image with another.
- Fixed: When commenting on a slide with a video in Review 360, a screenshot of the project wouldn't display in the feedback tab.
- Fixed: In the modern player, the focus order was always right to left when using tab-key navigation for topbar player features.
- Fixed: We fixed a few tracking issues in xAPI courses. Values of custom variables weren't sent to an LMS/LRS. Course completion triggers stopped working, so completion statuses could be wrong in an LMS/LRS.
- Fixed: If learners spent over a minute on a slide, audio on the next slide wouldn't play when viewed in Safari.
December 14, 2021 (Build 3.59.26702.0)
- Enhanced: We’re shutting down Articulate Online on December 31, 2021. To prepare, we removed the option to publish to Articulate Online from Storyline 360.
- Enhanced: On mobile devices in landscape mode, the seekbar in the modern player no longer overlaps the slide content. Now the seekbar displays below the slide content.
- Fixed: Key-press triggers stopped working if they were set to fire when the learner pressed the number 4 or 5 on their keyboard.
- Fixed: Storyline 360 could crash when tracking a result slide for an imported Quizmaker 360 quiz.
November 30, 2021 (Build 3.58.26627.0)
- New: Track learners’ progress in a learning record store (LRS)—even if you don't have a learning management system (LMS). You can send results to an LRS, an LMS, or both. Learn more.
- New: Create advanced reporting options. Use triggers to define custom xAPI statements, such as "Maria interacted with Office Tour 360° Image."
- New: Troubleshoot xAPI statements with an easy-to-use debugger. Find out which statements fail and why. Export your results and share them with your team for analysis.
- New: Create timed interactions and conditional triggers using built-in variables that track the total time a learner spends on a slide, a scene, or an entire course.
- New: Display tooltips when learners hover over markers and hotspots in 360° interactions so learners know what to expect before they click.
- Enhanced: We updated the embedded version of Chromium to 94.0.4606.81 in Storyline 360.
- Fixed: Layers could flicker when hovering over an object.
- Fixed: 360° images wouldn't load in Safari 15.
- Fixed: The passing score for a quiz would reset when closing and reopening the Quiz Settings window.
November 2, 2021 (Build 3.57.26476.0)
- Fixed: Selected states for grouped objects wouldn't display.
- Fixed: Storyline 360 could crash when working with trigger conditions.
- Fixed: The quiz timer could speed up when taking quizzes.
October 26, 2021 (Build 3.57.26407.0)
- New: Import scalable vector graphics (SVGs) to Storyline 360 so images stay sharp when learners zoom in and out.
- New: Empower all learners to have the same engaging experience with built-in accessibility features for 360° images.
- New: Localize 360° interactions alongside the rest of your course when you export text to XLIFF or Word for translation. Learn more about translating courses.
- Enhanced: 360° images officially launched and no longer display the beta label. We're not done yet. There’s more work underway to make 360° images even more powerful.
- Enhanced: Easily control how combined result slides get scored when learners must pass each quiz to pass the course.
- Fixed: Quiz timers paused when switching to another browser tab, giving learners more time to complete quizzes.
- Fixed: Learners couldn't retry question bank quizzes that included locked questions.
- Fixed: The format painter behaved erratically when copying formatting from one object to another.
- Fixed: JAWS screen readers announced answer choices twice in Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, and Google Chrome.
September 28, 2021 (Build 3.56.26219.0)
- Fixed: Motion path directions were missing from path options.
- Fixed: Glossary CSV files wouldn't import.
September 21, 2021 (Build 3.56.26145.0)
- New: Create courses faster by changing the default slide dimensions for new projects.
- New: In 360° interactions, add alt text to images and videos to make them accessible to screen reader users. Stay tuned for more accessibility enhancements.
- Enhanced: Manage scoring for question bank quizzes with branching. Storyline 360 no longer scores only viewed questions by default, giving you the choice. Learn more.
- Enhanced: We upgraded the Microsoft .NET Framework dependency for Storyline 360 to version 4.8.
- Fixed: Course completion triggers stopped working in the classic player.
- Fixed: Text could change color in states after duplicating an object.
August 31, 2021 (Build 3.55.25975.0)
- Fixed: The previous update removed scroll bars from all fixed-size objects in projects where text autofit improvements were already enabled. This update preserves scroll bars in existing projects. Authors can choose to keep the scroll bars or allow text to overflow individual containers.
August 24, 2021 (Build 3.55.25954.0)
- New: Help learners navigate 360° images by providing instructions on where to find hotspots in guided-tour interactions. Learn more about hotspot hints.
- Enhanced: When you enable text autofit improvements, you can choose how Storyline 360 handles text that doesn't fit in fixed-size objects—let it overflow or add a scroll bar.
- Fixed: Sometimes a hover state wouldn't appear when there were disabled objects on the same slide. And sometimes text shifted when hovering over an object in a course using the classic player.
- Fixed: Audio on the final question slide in a quiz continued to play during quiz review.
- Fixed: Changes to the seekbar settings didn't always save when editing the classic player.
- Fixed: Some disabled objects could be accessed and activated via keyboard navigation.
- Fixed: Rapidly clicking the Next button in a published course could make slides blank when revisiting them.
- Fixed: Some letters changed fonts in glossary entries in the classic player.
- Fixed: Triggers with conditions based on object states stopped working on slides with multiple layers. And triggers that should've fired when a data-entry field lost focus actually fired at the start of the timeline instead.
- Fixed: Triggers on markers and hotspots in 360° interactions could cause a course to lock up on mobile devices.
- Fixed: Recent projects could be listed in the wrong order in Storyline 360.
- Fixed: The timing options for a zoom region could unexpectedly go blank and become grayed-out.
July 27, 2021 (Build 3.54.25674.0)
- New: Create immersive learning experiences with 360° images. Add interactive elements, such as hotspots and markers, to engage learners as they explore.
- New: Brand your courses by choosing a custom background color for the modern player.
- New: Make an impactful first impression. Add an image to your course start page to brand it or give learners an idea of the subject matter. Learn more about cover photos.
- New: Choose two colors—one light and one dark—for the accessibility focus indicator so it's visible against any background in your course (modern player only).
- New: Make closed captions easier to read. Increase the captions font size up to 200% in the modern player.
- New: Add alternative text to your course logo so it's accessible to screen readers and other assistive technologies.
- Enhanced: Thanks to your feedback, text autofit improvements are no longer enabled by default. Simply upgrade project text when you're ready to use the new autofit settings to make text more accessible to all learners.
- Fixed: Pressing the spacebar in slide view or using the timeline preview could prompt you to save your project file or cause Storyline 360 to close unexpectedly.
- Fixed: Certain fonts, such as Noto Sans SC and Quicksand, could cause Storyline 360 to crash or generate an error when previewing or publishing.
- Fixed: When duplicating question slides or importing them from a template, a hidden trigger could get added to the slides, causing them to be skipped in the published output.
- Fixed: Hover states were missing or incorrect for radio buttons and check boxes. This update won't fix existing slides, but it ensures new slides have the correct hover states.
- Fixed: Modern player buttons and controls could be misaligned.
- Fixed: Exported closed captions had the wrong file extension (e.g., MP3 or MP4). The correct extension is VTT.
June 29, 2021 (Build 3.53.25436.0)
- Enhanced: Thanks to your feedback, Word translation no longer splits text strings with basic font formatting, such as bold and italics, into multiple rows in the exported doc. And Storyline 360 preserves basic font formatting that you add to translated text in the Word doc when you import it back into your project file. Learn more.
- Enhanced: The built-in widescreen (16:9) slide size is bigger—960x540—giving you more room to work and resulting in fewer unexpected scroll bars in text objects.
- Enhanced: The seekbar is more accessible. Learners using screen readers on mobile devices can seek back and forth, and the seekbar is visible in high contrast mode.
- Enhanced: We updated the embedded version of Chromium to 90.0.4430.93 in Storyline 360.
- Fixed: Combining text and variables references in the same object could cause spacing or alignment issues in the published output.
- Fixed: Essay questions stopped enforcing the maximum number of characters specified by the author.
- Fixed: A learner's selected answer choices might be missing when they reviewed a quiz set to submit answers all at once.
- Fixed: Duplicating a slide with a zoom region caused other objects to disappear from the timeline panel for the new slide.
- Fixed: Lightboxes were blank when using modern player zoom (i.e., zoom to fit).
- Fixed: Storyline 360 could generate an error after opening the media library in some multi-monitor configurations.
June 1, 2021 (Build 3.52.25247.0)
- Fixed: Restart-course triggers caused the slide content to disappear.
- Fixed: Jump-to-slide triggers stopped working if they were set to execute when the timeline reached 0 seconds.
May 18, 2021 (Build 3.52.25156.0)
- New: Make text easier to read by controlling how it displays when it overflows its bounding box. Allow the object's width or height to expand to accommodate your text or lock the object at a fixed size to preserve your slide design. When locked, a scroll bar displays for text that doesn't fit. Learn more about text autofit improvements.
- Enhanced: Make accessible text the default text for a course with the click of a button. Learn more.
- Fixed: Text-wrapping could be enabled unexpectedly when dragging a text object. The text autofit improvements mentioned above fixed this issue. Upgrade text for existing projects to take advantage of the autofit enhancements.
- Fixed: We fixed some quizzing issues. Answer choices could overlap during quiz review. Results were calculated incorrectly after rapidly clicking the Next button through a quiz. Refreshing the browser tab or exiting and resuming the course after submitting a question and displaying its feedback allowed learners to retake the question.
- Fixed: A trigger that changed the state of an object after visiting other objects didn't work when the trigger was on a layer.
- Fixed: Projects with screen recordings took an exceedingly long time to publish as a video file.
- Fixed: Screen readers sometimes announced slide titles more than once.
- Fixed: The closed captioning button disappeared when slide layers paused the timeline of the base layer.
- Fixed: When viewing a course on an iPad, learners might need to tap buttons more than once to activate them, and rapidly tapping the Next button allowed learners to skip slides with restricted navigation.
- Fixed: Cropping a JPG image converted it to a PNG image, which could result in a larger file size in the published output.
April 27, 2021 (Build 3.51.24979.0)
- Enhanced: A "previous" button on the first slide of a course or a lightbox gets disabled and skipped during keyboard navigation, improving the experience for screen reader users and keyboard-only users.
- Enhanced: The closed captioning button's active state is more noticeable on the modern player, displaying an underline that matches the accent color.
- Enhanced: Easily identify the language of a Tin Can API (xAPI) course by entering a value in the Language Code field in your reporting and tracking options.
- Fixed: Learners could swipe on mobile devices to move between slides even when navigation was restricted and swipe gestures were turned off.
- Fixed: Sometimes, lightboxes were blank in published output.
- Fixed: Question details didn't always get sent to an LMS when a final result slide combined other result slides.
- Fixed: Screen readers constantly announced timestamps when the seekbar had focus. Now, screen readers announce the elapsed percentage one time when the seekbar gains focus—e.g., 10%. When learners activate the seekbar by pressing Enter or spacebar, screen readers announce the elapsed percentage as it changes—e.g., 10%, 11%, 12%, and so on.
- Fixed: NVDA screen readers didn't always follow the correct focus order of slide content, and the focus order sometimes started over from the beginning after opening a layer.
April 6, 2021 (Build 3.50.24832.0)
- New: Manually upload Storyline 360 courses to Review 360 when publishing directly from Storyline 360 is blocked by a firewall or when you need to edit the published output before sharing it with stakeholders.
- Fixed: Slide titles that wrapped to multiple lines in the menu could overlap one another.
- Fixed: Slide notes changed to a small, gray font that was hard to read when previewed or published.
- Fixed: Storyline 360 could close unexpectedly after clicking the Edit in Engage button.
March 23, 2021 (Build 3.50.24668.0)
- New: The modern player meets WCAG accessibility guidelines for visual contrast and color so all learners can read the text, decipher the icons, perceive the controls, and navigate easily. Learn more about modern player accessible contrast.
- Enhanced: Since Adobe discontinued Flash at the end of 2020, we removed Flash features, including the options to import Flash movies and publish Flash output, from Storyline 360.
- Fixed: Tab-key navigation didn't follow the designated focus order on slide layers set to prevent learners from clicking on the base layer.
- Fixed: When a data-entry field was in a scrolling panel, the keyboard focus always started on the data-entry field rather than following the designated focus order.
- Fixed: The print results feature didn't work in CD-published output.
- Fixed: Triggers set to occur when media completes didn't always work when previewing a project.
February 23, 2021 (Build 3.49.24347.0)
- New: Word translation is faster, provides more context for translators, and preserves all text formatting, including lists and paragraph spacing. Plus, it uses the modern DOCX format, so you can open files in any DOCX editor, such as Word, Google Docs, and LibreOffice.
- Enhanced: The accessibility controls for learners are now disabled by default in existing projects and saved custom players so authors don't have to opt out of the new controls for projects already in progress.
- Fixed: When the slide background was semi-transparent, the player frame color showed through the slide as expected in the published output. However, transparency didn't work on the slide stage or during preview.
- Fixed: When the seekbar was set to allow dragging only after completion, learners could drag the seekbar before completion on smartphones in portrait orientation.
- Fixed: An error occurred when changing the placeholder picture for a web object.
- Fixed: When publishing a project with slide transitions to a video file with very high quality, brief flashes or glitches could occur in the published output.
- Fixed: Gradient stops behaved erratically when edited.
- Fixed: Published courses could freeze when viewed in Safari on a Mac.
January 21, 2021 (Build 3.48.24159.0)
- Fixed: Project files wouldn't open after adding a result slide due to an error with text scrollbars.
January 19, 2021 (Build 3.48.24116.0)
- Enhanced: We added more keyboard shortcuts for learners, including play/pause, previous, next, and submit. Plus, learners can now use the ESC key to close the shortcuts screen.
- Enhanced: The new trigger workflow is now the only trigger workflow. We retired the classic workflow.
- Fixed: Shadow and glow effects stopped working in Google Chrome and chromium-based Microsoft Edge.
- Fixed: When publishing a course with the classic player style and HTML5-only features, such as jump-to-time triggers or multiple completion criteria, the output erroneously included Flash files.
- Fixed: Accented letters and special characters displayed as HTML-encoded strings on the start/resume screen in the modern player.
- Fixed: Quiz result slides didn't load when the player was set to never resume.
- Fixed: When setting a result slide to score only viewed questions and retry only incorrect questions, the final score could be over 100% or the result slide might not load.
- Fixed: Hyperlinks didn't always work when viewing courses in Internet Explorer.
- Fixed: When using the modern player style, the volume slider could move erratically, or the menu scroll bar could extend below the menu panel.
- Fixed: Audio might stop working when pausing and resuming a slide on Apple iOS devices.
December 15, 2020 (Build 3.47.23871.0)
- New: Let learners with accessibility needs change the visual appearance of text in a published course to make it more readable. Learn more about accessible text.
- New: Text publishes with the proper semantic formatting for headings, links, lists, and other elements so screen reader users can explore content easily.
- New: Use text styles to make content easy to navigate with a screen reader. Accessible text styles allow learners with visual disabilities to identify headings, hyperlinks, blockquotes, and paragraphs on each slide so they understand its layout and context. Learners can also use screen reader shortcuts to jump directly to headings and links.
- New: Create custom styles for every text element in a project, including blockquotes, button labels, image captions, speech bubbles, and more.
- New: Rename your custom text styles so they’re easy to identify. For example, you might rename Custom 1 as Button Labels.
- New: Let learners personalize their learning experience. When you enable the new accessibility settings menu, learners can change the zoom mode, turn accessible text on or off, and toggle keyboard shortcuts.
- Enhanced: Learners can now use keyboard shortcuts to mute/unmute audio, replay the slide, turn closed captions on/off, and more. Player controls also follow a more intuitive navigation order that's similar to popular video-streaming sites. Learn more about accessible player controls.
- Enhanced: We updated the embedded version of Chromium to 184.108.40.206 in Storyline 360.
- Fixed: With the introduction of accessible semantic formatting (see above), learners can now tab to hyperlinks in text boxes and activate them by pressing the Enter key. We also fixed links that didn't work when they were in a text box with a variable reference. And JAWS screen readers no longer announce links as buttons.
- Fixed: When using a screen reader, the focus order didn't always follow the correct path for slides with layers.
- Fixed: When using keyboard navigation, the focus rectangle was sometimes misaligned or offset from the selected object.
- Fixed: The playhead jumped back to the beginning of the timeline when previewing a layer.
- Fixed: Wipe and wheel animations stopped working for arrows and dashed lines.
- Fixed: The font size changed unexpectedly when pasting text from one theme to another, and text formatting was incorrect when pasting a text box and another object at the same time.
November 17, 2020 (Build 3.46.23620.0)
- New: Define styles for hyperlink states (normal, hover, active, and visited) to give your course a consistent design and provide clear visual distinction for learners with low vision.
- Enhanced: Text styles now support live previews. Hover over your styles in the ribbon drop-down list to see how the selected text looks with each one.
- Enhanced: Get details about each text style by glancing at its sub-menu in the ribbon drop-down list. The sub-menu header displays the style name, its HTML tag (for improved screen reader navigation—coming soon), plus its font, size, and decoration.
- Enhanced: When you publish courses to Articulate Online, Storyline 360 reminds you that Articulate Online will shut down on December 31, 2021.
- Fixed: Buttons were cut off or hidden on player notifications, such as the resume prompt and the invalid answer message, when the classic player was set to fill the browser window.
- Fixed: Arrows and dashed lines were blurry when previewed or published.
- Fixed: A shape with a picture fill set to "tile picture as texture" didn't always look right on the slide stage, and it displayed differently in preview mode.
- Fixed: Some Czech player text labels were actually Polish, and the optional launch page displayed question marks when using Hebrew text labels.
- Fixed: You couldn't add more than one "reset results" trigger on a slide.
- Fixed: When a layer was set to hide other slide layers, learners could still tab to data-entry fields on the other layers.
- Fixed: The timeline preview feature didn't always work. In some cases, playback would freeze at the beginning of the timeline.
October 27, 2020 (Build 3.45.23393.0)
- Enhanced: The new trigger workflow is now the default workflow for everyone. We'll retire the classic workflow in January 2021.
- Fixed: Scroll bars and red spell-check lines on one layer were visible on other layers when they should've been hidden.
- Fixed: A published course could flicker when moving from one layer to another.
- Fixed: Some Content Library 360 icons were blank when inserted into a project, and they could cause Storyline 360 to crash.
- Fixed: We fixed a couple of tracking issues. Completion triggers sent an unnecessary score of 0% to an LMS. And when a result slide tracked other result slides, the child result slides could become unchecked or deselected in the quiz settings for the final result slide.
- Fixed: The search and filter features in the media library stopped working.
September 29, 2020 (Build 3.44.23192.0)
- New: Let Storyline 360 keep track of every quiz in your course, then send results to your LMS for first quiz each learner completes. Learn more about expanded quiz tracking.
- New: Give learners more than one way to complete a course. Let your LMS mark the course complete as soon as learners view a certain number of slides, finish a quiz, or reach a completion trigger. Learn more about tracking multiple completion criteria.
- New: Allow learners to skip quiz questions without negatively affecting their score by grading only the questions they view. Details here.
- Enhanced: The Edit Result Slide button is now called Quiz Settings and has moved from the sidebar to the ribbon, giving you more space to work with triggers. We also redesigned the Quiz Settings window, adding an option to select and deselect all the questions in a scene at the same time.
- Enhanced: The Tab Order window is now called Focus Order to better reflect its purpose. It manages the tab order of interactive objects, such as buttons and markers, for keyboard-only users. It also manages the reading order of non-interactive objects, such as text and images, for screen reader users.
- Enhanced: Storyline 360 no longer duplicates the slide master when you import more slides from a template or project you've already imported. New slides from the same source now use the same slide master so you only have to design it once with text styles and other thematic elements. The only time a new slide master gets generated is when the number of layouts differs between the existing slide master and the one being imported.
- Enhanced: Text style tooltips let you know when the style for the selected text has been modified by the placeholder on the slide master.
- Fixed: Images with animations might flicker when publishing a project as a video file.
- Fixed: Some "submit results" triggers were disabled when opening project files with the previous update. That was unexpected at the time. However, with the introduction of expanded quiz tracking in this update, untracked quizzes and combined result slides in existing project files have disabled "submit results" triggers by design. And new project files won't have any "submit results" triggers for untracked quizzes or combined result slides. Learn more.
- Fixed: A result slide that tracked other result slides didn't always send a score to an LMS.
- Fixed: Resetting a text-entry variable so it had no value didn't actually clear the text-entry field, and a course could freeze when setting a numeric-entry variable equal to the value of another variable.
- Fixed: Keyboard focus stayed on the submit button after submitting a quiz question, so screen readers didn't automatically announce content on the feedback layer.
- Fixed: Line spacing shrank on slide masters and feedback masters when using a custom story size.
- Fixed: Scroll bars in the sidebar didn't always start at the top of the panel, and sometimes links or files at the bottom of the Resources panel wouldn't open.
- Fixed: Storyline 360 could crash when previewing or publishing a project with states containing hyperlinks.
- Fixed: Learners couldn't scroll through the answer choices in the last list of sequence drop-down questions.
August 18, 2020 (Build 3.43.22859.0)
- Fixed: A timer could continue to display after moving past a quiz, and sometimes the "time limit exceeded" message would appear on a result slide.
- Fixed: After resuming an LMS course, learners couldn't drag the conditional seekbar on slides they already viewed.
- Fixed: On mobile devices, learners could drag the seekbar when it was supposed to be locked—either read-only or set to allow dragging after completion.
- Fixed: Learners could bypass restricted or locked navigation by rapidly, repeatedly clicking the Next button.
August 4, 2020 (Build 3.42.22792.0)
- Fixed: We fixed formatting issues with text styles on slide masters and content placeholders.
July 24, 2020 (Build 3.42.22734.0)
- Fixed: Course completion triggers stopped working in the latest updates.
July 23, 2020 (Build 3.42.22724.0)
- Fixed: Font sizes changed unexpectedly in some projects with custom slide sizes.
July 21, 2020 (Build 3.42.22691.0)
- New: Use text styles to control the visual appearance of text elements, such as paragraphs and headings. You can even define two custom styles for repetitive elements, such as button labels, blockquotes, image captions, or speech bubbles.
- Fixed: Course completions and quiz scores weren't recorded in an LMS when the player was set to launch in a new window.
- Fixed: Sometimes, effect options were missing for fly-in animations. When that happened, the preview feature didn't work, and Storyline could crash.
- Fixed: The menu option to "show tooltip on hover" stopped working.
July 7, 2020 (Build 3.41.22509.0)
- Fixed: Slides could be blank when previewed or published if they had variable references that used OpenType (OTF) fonts.
- Fixed: Courses didn't load in custom iOS apps for these LMSs: Cornerstone and TalentLMS.
- Fixed: The
FORCED_COMMIT_TIME variable in the
scormdriver.js file defaulted to a value of
0 in the previous update, preventing courses from sending "keep alive" messages to an LMS to keep learners' sessions from timing out. This update restores the default value of
60000, which sends a "keep alive" message to the LMS every 60 seconds.
June 23, 2020 (Build 3.41.22450.0)
- Enhanced: Interactive markers are now fully keyboard-accessible. Learn more.
- Enhanced: Take advantage of all the latest accessibility enhancements added in Storyline 360 when you publish courses to Review 360. Learn more.
- Enhanced: We listened to your feedback and improved keyboard navigation for the slide controls. Now you can use the Tab key to access the play/pause button, the seekbar, and the replay button individually.
- Enhanced: View Tin Can API (xAPI) courses on your local computer before you upload them to your LMS. Details here.
- Enhanced: We added support for hardware graphics acceleration to pave the way for 360° image interactions, which are in development.
- Fixed: Scrolling panels weren't keyboard-accessible, and screen readers didn't announce disabled states for player navigation buttons.
- Fixed: Screen recordings kept capturing data when the recorder was paused.
- Fixed: We fixed some LMS reporting issues, including multiple-choice responses that appeared in SCORM 2004 reports with a prefix of
urn:scormdriver and essay responses that weren't submitted with Tin Can API results.
- Fixed: In some cases, the search feature worked inconsistently. In others, learners could use the search feature to jump to unvisited slides when menu navigation was restricted or locked.
- Fixed: When courses with all player controls turned off were viewed on mobile devices, content shifted to the right side of the screen, and videos didn't fill the screen.
- Fixed: Sometimes a line appeared across videos in the Storyline 360 editor.
- Fixed: When pasting text from an external source, the original formatting remained intact when "Keep Text Only" was selected, and if you were using the classic trigger workflow, Storyline 360 could crash.
May 19, 2020 (Build 3.40.22208.0)
- New: When you use the modern player style, learners can use the zoom settings in desktop browsers to make slides bigger and easier to see. Learn more.
- Fixed: Screen readers stopped announcing text in interactive markers, incorrectly announced the close button for lightboxes, and sometimes repeated the course title on each slide.
- Fixed: Learners couldn't drag the seekbar when revisiting a slide even though the seekbar was set to "allow drag after completion."
- Fixed: Objects near the top of the slide weren't interactive when using the classic player with the title or topbar tabs turned off.
- Fixed: Scrolling panels immediately scrolled to the bottom when they contained data-entry fields.
- Fixed: Interactive objects, such as data-entry fields and videos with player controls, stopped working or disappeared when they were hidden from accessibility tools.
- Fixed: Slide content didn't fill the screen on mobile devices in portrait mode when menus and controls were turned off in the modern player, and interactive objects weren't always clickable on mobile devices in landscape mode.
- Fixed: When a slide had multiple slider interactions, the following slide wouldn't load.
May 5, 2020 (Build 3.39.22088.0)
- Fixed: A 404 error occurred in some LMSs when learners exited a course.
- Fixed: Storyline 360 could behave erratically or crash when using a non-English interface.
April 21, 2020 (Build 3.39.21985.0)
- New: Publish Storyline 360 courses to cmi5—the newest LMS standard.
- Enhanced: Storyline 360 now publishes Tin Can API (xAPI) courses using version 1.0.2 of the LMS standard.
- Fixed: Closed captions from multiple layers could display simultaneously, and audio/video content that was duplicated on multiple slides with different captions resulted in the wrong captions being shown.
- Fixed: We fixed several player issues, including timers that didn't stop on result slides, searches and replay buttons that didn't always work, resume dialog buttons that were hidden, and slide objects that weren't clickable when the player controls were turned off.
- Fixed: An error occurred when uploading team slides if a quiz question had more than 255 characters.
- Fixed: Slides wouldn't load when revisiting them if they had data-entry fields.
- Fixed: Grouped objects with random bars, shape, wheel, or wipe animations flickered or shifted when previewed or published.
April 7, 2020 (Build 3.38.21861.0)
- Enhanced: We updated the embedded version of Chromium to 79.0.3945.130 in Storyline 360.
March 24, 2020 (Build 3.38.21779.0)
- New: Create unique interactions and give learners new ways to navigate by using triggers that jump to different times or cue points on the timeline. Learn more.
- New: Save time by previewing multiple scenes or slides when you don’t need to preview the entire course. Details here.
- Enhanced: When you publish, Storyline 360 lets you know if your project has any HTML5-only features.
- Fixed: Player features stopped working in Internet Explorer when they were disabled on one slide and enabled on the next. And in some cases, logos appeared stretched in Internet Explorer.
- Fixed: Audio and video content continued to play after switching to another browser tab.
- Fixed: A white border appeared around a Storyline block in Rise 360 when the block had a custom background color.
- Fixed: After importing a result slide into a question bank, a project wouldn't load when previewed or published. Question banks can't contain result slides, so that import loophole has been fixed.
- Fixed: When the base layer had a data-entry field, interactive objects on other layers weren't clickable and learners could still edit the field on the base layer.
- Fixed: After publishing each scene in a Storyline project as a separate Review 360 item, publishing a new version of one of the scenes sometimes updated the wrong Review 360 item.
- Fixed: Player tab names were truncated or cut off when the sidebar was initially collapsed.
- Fixed: Closed captions carried over from one slide to the next when the slide advanced automatically. Revisiting the slide also duplicated the closed captions.
- Fixed: Storyline crashed when copying and pasting radio buttons and check boxes.
March 3, 2020 (Build 3.37.21614.0)
- Fixed: A project could freeze or hang while publishing to a video file.
- Fixed: Learners couldn't click or drag the seekbar on the built-in video controls.
- Fixed: Data-entry fields stopped responding to on-click triggers.
February 18, 2020 (Build 3.37.21453.0)
- Enhanced: We redesigned the optional launch page for published courses so it’s accessible to screen readers.
- Enhanced: We listened to your feedback and empowered screen reader users to control their e-learning experience. Screen readers no longer auto-read slide content. Now, a screen reader announces the title of each slide and then waits for the learner to explore the content.
- Fixed: We fixed a few issues with data-entry fields. Learners had to click a data-entry field before they could type a response. In some cases, they couldn't select the default text before typing a response. Text didn't always scroll when it was longer than the data-entry field.
- Fixed: Closed captions didn't change size after adjusting the modern player font size, nor did they display consistently when the
Player.DisplayCaptions variable was set to true.
- Fixed: Screen readers didn't always read alt text in object states. In some cases, screen readers repeated quiz questions or read animated paragraphs out of sequence.
- Fixed: Learners couldn't scroll through web objects on iPhones or iPads.
- Fixed: Korean text was distorted or garbled when previewed or published.
- Fixed: Hotspots didn't work consistently when the sidebar and topbar player features were turned off.
- Fixed: A result slide displayed a score of
Infinity% after exiting and resuming the quiz when the slides were configured to reset to their initial states.
- Fixed: Objects on top of videos or screen recordings disappeared in zoom regions.
January 28, 2020 (Build 3.36.21289.0)
- Fixed: Rise 360 lessons jumped immediately to Storyline blocks where the first slide had a layer. To fix the problem, install the latest Storyline 360 update, republish your course to Review 360, and reinsert your Storyline block in Rise 360.
January 21, 2020 (Build 3.36.21213.0)
- New: Navigation just got a whole lot easier for screen reader users. Learners can use a broader range of screen readers on more web browsers and devices. Learners can also take advantage of more screen reader features and improved player controls. Learn more about the accessible player.
- Enhanced: Slide content is more accessible. Text is treated as normal document text by screen readers. Objects are correctly identified to assistive technologies. Hotspots and drop-down lists are now keyboard-accessible. And more!
- Enhanced: Select multiple triggers and edit them all at once. Easily copy, paste, move, disable, and delete triggers in bulk. Details here.
- Enhanced: Save time by copying conditions from one trigger and pasting them on another. Learn how.
- Enhanced: Select multiple variables and then copy, paste, or delete them at the same time. Use Ctrl+click, Shift+click, and Ctrl+A to multi-select variables.
- Fixed: Radio buttons shifted or shook when clicked in published output.
- Fixed: Numeric-entry questions could be evaluated incorrectly even when learners entered the right answer.
- Fixed: Adjusted number variables with decimal values reset to their default values when resuming a course.
- Fixed: Layers appeared blank when the base layer had certain icons from Content Library 360 or SVG images from PowerPoint.
- Fixed: The player properties window would disappear unexpectedly.
- Fixed: A project file could corrupt after importing step-by-step screen recordings from another project.
December 19, 2019 (Build 3.35.21017.0)
- Fixed: Project files wouldn't always open in Storyline 360 build 3.35.20995.0.
December 17, 2019 (Build 3.35.20995.0)
- Enhanced: Storyline 360 has been upgraded to run on Microsoft Visual C++ 2019 Redistributable, which automatically installs with this update.
- Enhanced: We added support for Google Chrome 80, which no longer allows synchronous XHR when a web page is closed. This update ensures your AICC courses always communicate a final status to an LMS.
- Enhanced: Storyline 360 now lists the specific features that prevent a file from opening. You must have this update or later installed to see the new incompatibility details.
- Fixed: The same media file used on multiple slides was duplicated in the published output.
- Fixed: Step-by-step screen recordings could become blurry after clicking a slide or during mouse animations.
November 19, 2019 (Build 3.34.20804.0)
- Enhanced: Change the order of conditions in the new trigger wizard without deleting and recreating them. Simply drag them up and down the list.
- Enhanced: Customize your player settings faster. The player properties window opens quickly, and the player preview instantly refreshes as you make selections.
- Enhanced: We added a new Brazilian Portuguese voice, Camila, and a new Latin American Spanish voice, Lupe, for text-to-speech conversion.
- Fixed: Audio wouldn't play and sliders didn't always work on iPadOS 13 devices.
- Fixed: Web objects were misaligned, the wrong size, or didn't scale properly in published output.
- Fixed: After editing the alt text for an object, JAWS screen readers would read the original alt text instead.
- Fixed: Zoom regions with a transition speed of "very slow" didn't zoom in completely.
- Fixed: The copying and pasting features in the Storyline editor sometimes stopped working.
- Fixed: Videos would start over when clicking the seekbar.
- Fixed: In some cases, a course wouldn't preview or publish when it had videos with closed captions.
November 5, 2019 (Build 3.33.20697.0)
- Fixed: Content Library 360 search results wouldn't always load for authors behind a proxy server.
- Fixed: Variable references in right-to-left text displayed in the reverse order.
- Fixed: The option to trigger hyperlinks "when the mouse hovers over" was missing in the new trigger workflow.
October 29, 2019 (Build 3.33.20625.0)
- New: Easily manage triggers and work faster with the new, more intuitive triggers panel and workflow. Edit everything in the triggers panel with convenient drop-down lists and group triggers by event so they’re easier to find. You can even disable individual triggers to troubleshoot interactions and try out different options. The trigger wizard prefills fields with common choices, supports keyboard navigation, and adds conditions without opening extra windows. Details here.
- Enhanced: Preserve the original quality of your MP3 audio files by turning off compression in Storyline 360. Uncompressed MP3 files retain their stereo format in your published output.
- Enhanced: Audio now publishes at a higher sample rate of 44,100 Hz so your e-learning courses sound better than ever.
- Fixed: Step-by-step screen recordings could flicker when transitioning between slides.
- Fixed: When you previewed the slide stage using the timeline controls and then paused the playback, a video on the slide would briefly show its first frame before switching back to the current frame on the timeline.
- Fixed: Images were blurry when their shapes were changed or they were used as shape fills.
- Fixed: Feedback layers wouldn't display on sequence drag-and-drop and matching drop-down questions when the "Hide objects on base layer" property was enabled.
September 24, 2019 (Build 3.32.20313.0)
- Enhanced: You'll now see an HTML5 preview in the player properties windows. It no longer relies on Flash. And that means Storyline 360 is officially Flash-free. You can still publish Flash output, but the Flash Player isn’t required to use Storyline 360. Learn more.
- Fixed: Animations couldn't be removed from multiple objects all at once.
- Fixed: In Rise 360 courses, a white line appeared around Storyline blocks that had custom background colors.
- Fixed: Text disappeared from lists with justified alignment.
- Fixed: Variable references with Arabic text didn't always display in a right-to-left orientation.
August 20, 2019 (Build 3.31.19951.0)
- Enhanced: Quickly create a series of states for an image by importing multiple pictures all at once. Learn more.
- Enhanced: On the Slides tab, we changed the name of the Basic Layouts button to New Slide and added the ability to insert slides with a single click. Click the top half of the button to quickly add a new slide with the same layout as the current slide. Or, click the bottom half of the button to choose from a list of basic layouts.
- Fixed: White lines or borders could appear around slides in published content.
- Fixed: Clicking a custom section header in the menu didn't jump to the first slide in that section.
- Fixed: Previewing a course could be slow or choppy.
- Fixed: Hyperlinks were unreadable when hovering over them in text boxes that animated by paragraph.
Click here to see older release notes.