Articulate Presenter makes it easy to publish and upload your course to Articulate Online all at once.
Step 1: Enter the Title and Description
- Go to the Articulate tab on the PowerPoint ribbon, and click Publish.
- When the Publish window appears, select Articulate Online on the left.
- Check the text that appears in the Title field, and customize it if you'd like. This text defaults to the name of your PowerPoint file. If you change it, it'll change the title text that Presenter uses in the following places (but it won't change your actual file name):
- The title of your content as it appears in Articulate Online's content list.
- The browser title bar, when learners view your published presentation in a browser window.
- The top bar of your course player, if you've opted to include the title as one of the player features.
- If you publish your content for use with the Articulate Mobile Player app, the presentation title is also used on the HTML launch page and the list of content names in the mobile player library.
- In the Description field, enter descriptive text about your presentation. If you enter a description, it’ll be used in the following places:
- When you manage your content in Articulate Online, the description will appear with the presentation title.
- The description will appear to learners who access your content through Articulate Online's user portal, if you choose to enable it. (Learn more about the user portal and other options for giving users access to your content in this tutorial.)
- If you publish your content for use with the Articulate Mobile Player, the description is used on the launch page and below the presentation thumbnail in the Articulate Mobile Player library.
Step 2: Enter Additional Project Info for the Articulate Mobile Player (Optional)
If learners use the Articulate Mobile Player, you can add more information by clicking the ellipsis button (...) next to the Title field on the Publish window. The following Project Info window appears.
- The Title and Description are the same as what you entered on the Publish window; you can change the text here if you'd like.
- The thumbnail below the Title field will appear for this presentation when learners browse content in their Articulate Mobile Player library. By default, Presenter uses an image of the first slide in your presentation, but you can choose a different image for the thumbnail. Just click the blue slide title text. Then select a different slide in your presentation, or click Picture from File and choose an image.
- Author, Email, Website, Duration, Date, and Version appear on the content information cards in the Articulate Mobile Player library.
- Identifier applies only to content published for LMS.
- Keywords aren't currently used. They'll be used in a future version of the Articulate Mobile Player app.
When you're finished customizing the fields on this window, click OK to return to the Publish window.
Step 3: Choose HTML5 and/or Mobile Publishing (Optional)
If any of your learners will view content on a mobile device that doesn't support Flash, use the following options to make it viewable in HTML5, the Articulate Mobile Player, or both.
- Include HTML5 output: This prepares your presentation so that it's viewable as HTML5 content if a learner doesn't have the Flash Player and they view your presentation in an HTML5-compatible browser. Keep in mind that not all browsers handle HTML5 content equally. This article identifies which browsers your learners should use if they need to view your presentation as HTML5 content.
- Use Articulate Mobile Player for iOS or Android: This prepares your presentation so learners have the best possible viewing experience on mobile devices. If you mark this option, learners will see the content in the Articulate Mobile Player app, which they'll be prompted to install when they launch the presentation if they don't already have it.
- Allow downloading for offline viewing: This option is currently ignored when you publish to Articulate Online, since learners need to be online for the presentation to send tracking data to your account. (A future version of the Articulate Mobile Player may support offline viewing; at that time, this setting will be honored for presentations you previously published.)
Step 4: Check Player Properties and Quality Settings
The Properties section of the Publish window is where you make any last-minute changes to your course player or the compression settings Presenter uses when publishing.
- The Player field shows the name of the player that Presenter will use when you publish. (The player is the interface that users see when they view your presentation, and it can include things like player controls, resources, a menu, a glossary, and other features.) Click the player name to make final adjustments or switch to a different player. If you need help choosing your player settings, see this tutorial
- The Quality field lets you control the compression settings Presenter uses for audio, video, and pictures you've added to your presentation. The settings here default to whatever you used the last time you published a Presenter project. To change the quality settings, click the blue text and change any of the fields as noted below, then click OK.
- Choose Standard if you want to use the default settings. If you mark this option, the values on the window revert back to their defaults (video quality of 5, audio bitrate of 48kbps, and image quality of 80%).
- Choose Custom if you want to define your own quality settings. Then click and drag the slider on any of the three values to change the compression. Using higher values gives you higher-quality output, but also larger file sizes (which means longer download times). Lower values give you smaller file sizes and faster download times, but the visual and audio quality will be lower.
- The Presenter drop-down lets you choose a presenter bio for this presentation. The presenter bio will appear in the sidebar of your published course. Click the ellipsis (...) button if you need to manage your library of presenter bios. Note: In order for the presenter bio to display in your published presentation, you'll need to enable the Presenter panel in your course player. Click here to learn how.
Step 5: Choose Your Tracking and Reporting Preferences
In the Properties section of the Publish window, click the Tracking field to open the following window, where you can choose options for the way Articulate Online tracks and reports learners' progress.
- Report status to AO lets you choose the wording that Articulate Online uses in reports when expressing learners' status. Use the selector to choose one of the four options available.
- Communicate resume data lets you choose how Articulate Online handles resume data if you've enabled the resume feature in your player.
- On Course Complete: With this option, the presentation communicates resume data when the learner closes the browser window in which they're viewing your presentation, or when they reach the completion threshold that you choose in the Tracking section (explained below).
- After Every Slide: With this option, the presentation sends resume data each time the learner advances to another slide in your presentation. If you choose this option, and if you've enabled the resume feature in your player, then learners who experience an Internet disruption while viewing your presentation will be able to pick up where they left off when they reopen the presentation. Keep in mind that because this option results in frequent communication between your presentation and Articulate Online, it does increase network traffic, which can become significant if you roll out your presentation simultaneously to many learners.
- In the Tracking section of the window, choose one of the following:
- Track using number of slides viewed: With this option, you can specify how many slides learners need to view in order to complete the presentation.
- Track using quiz result: Select this option if your presentation includes a quiz that you want to use for tracking purposes. If you have more than one quiz in your presentation, select the one you want to track.
- Click OK when you're finished setting up your tracking and reporting preferences.
Step 6: Enter Your Articulate Online Credentials and Publish
To complete the process, enter your Articulate Online credentials (account URL, email address, and password) and click the Publish button.
Your course publishes and uploads to Articulate Online all at once. How fast this happens depends on the size of your course and your internet speed.
When the Publish Successful window appears, click Manage Content to open Articulate Online and manage the course you just uploaded.
If a firewall blocks you from publishing directly to Articulate Online, you can publish your course on your local computer and then manually upload it to Articulate Online. See this user guide for details.
Articulate Online has a maximum size limit of 500 MB per course. If you think you might be approaching that limit but aren't sure, here's how to check: publish the course on your local computer (see the link above) and then check the file size of the Presenter package that's generated.
Step 7: Distribute Your Published Course
When you give learners access to your Articulate Online content and they launch it, they'll see the right type of content based on the device and browser they're using.
- They'll see the Flash content if using a browser that supports it.
- If they're using iPads or Android devices and you marked the Articulate Mobile Player option when you published, the course will launch in the Articulate Mobile Player app. (If they don't have the app installed, they'll be prompted to install it.)
- If they're using iPads and you didn't mark the Articulate Mobile Player option when you published, but you did include HTML5, they'll see the HTML5 output in mobile Safari.
- If they're using another browser that doesn't support Flash and you included HTML5, they'll see the HTML5 output. (For a list of supported HTML5 browsers, click here.)