Articulate Quizmaker has an easy way to publish quizzes for local use. Use this option if you need to deploy your quiz from a CD, DVD, or standalone computer (kiosk). (If you need to incorporate your quiz into an Articulate Presenter course first, click here.)
Step 1: Enter Title, Description, and Folder Location
- On the Home tab of the Quizmaker ribbon, click Publish. (Or, from any other tab on the ribbon, click the small triangle under the Preview button and choose Publish.)
- When the Publish window appears, select CD on the left.
- Check the text that appears in the Title field, and customize it if you'd like. This text defaults to the name of your Quizmaker file. If you change it, it'll update the title text that Quizmaker uses in the following places (but it won't change your actual file name):
- The folder that Quizmaker creates to contain your published output. For example, if the Title field contains the words MSDS Quiz, Quizmaker creates a new folder on your hard drive called MSDS Quiz—Quizmaker output when you publish.
- The browser title bar, when learners view your published quiz in a browser window.
- The top bar of your quiz player, if you've opted to include the title as one of the player features.
- The ellipsis button (...) next to the Title field lets you open an additional window where you can enter optional project information. This information is only used if you later republish your quiz for the web and your learners view the quiz on an iPad with the Articulate Mobile Player app. For details on how this additional project info is used, see the web-publishing tutorial.
- In the Description field, enter descriptive text about your quiz. (When you publish for CD, any text you enter here won't be visible to your learners, but it'll be saved as part of your quiz. The description will be visible to learners if you republish for a different destination, such as Web or LMS.
- In the Folder field, indicate the place on your computer where you want Quizmaker to create your published output. Click the ellipsis button (...) to browse to a specific location. Quizmaker will create a new folder in that spot with all the files needed to play your quiz.
- Important! Always publish to your local hard drive. Publishing to a network drive or a USB drive can create problems with your published output. After you publish your quiz to a local folder, you can burn it to a CD or DVD, or move it to another local destination.
Step 2: Check Player Properties and Quality Settings
The Properties section of the Publish window is where you make last-minute changes to your quiz player and the compression settings Quizmaker uses when publishing.
- The Player field shows the name of the player that Quizmaker will use when you publish. (The player is the interface that learners see when they view your quiz. It can include things like player controls, the question list, and other features.) Click the player name to make adjustments or switch to a different player. If you need help choosing your player settings, see this tutorial
- The Quality field lets you control the compression settings Quizmaker uses for audio, video, and pictures you've added to your quiz. The settings here default to whatever you used the last time you published a Quizmaker project. To change the quality settings, click the blue text and change any of the fields as noted below; then click OK.
- Choose Standard if you want to use the default settings. If you mark this option, the values on the window revert back to their defaults (video quality of 5, audio bitrate of 48kbps, and image quality of 80%).
- Choose Custom if you want to define your own quality settings. Then click and drag the slider on any of the three values to change the compression. Using higher values gives you higher-quality output but also larger file sizes (which means longer download times). Lower values gives you smaller file sizes and faster download times, but the visual and audio quality will be lower.
Step 3: Publish
When you're finished making selections, click the Publish button. Quizmaker creates your published output in the location you specified. Then you'll see this Publish Successful dialog.
- View Quiz: This launches your quiz, so you can view it.
- Email: This opens up a new email message with a zipped file of your published output attached. This makes it easy to share your quiz with a subject matter expert (SME) or someone who will place it in the location from which it'll be deployed.
- FTP: This opens a window where you can enter your FTP credentials and transfer your output to your website. This probably isn't something you'd need to do, since you've chosen to publish for CD, which optimizes your content for local deployment rather than online deployment.
- Zip: This creates a zipped file of your output in the location you specified on the Publish window.
- Open Folder: This opens a file viewer where you can see the files Quizmaker just created. There will be several folders and files, and the file that launches your quiz is called Launch_Quiz.exe. There’s also an autorun file, which causes your presentation to launch automatically if you burn it to a CD.
What Do I Do with My Published Files?
Now that you've published, you can burn the files to a CD or DVD, or you can copy them to any destination for deployment.
- Note: If you burn your quiz to a DVD, it must be played in a computer DVD drive. It won't function in a DVD player on a TV.