Added to Rise 360 in 2021, the driverOptions.js file gives you quick and easy access to SCORM driver settings for your exported courses. In this article, we'll dive deep into what the file does and how you can configure it for your Rise 360 courses.
Pro Tip: The steps and techniques described in this article require direct manipulation of exported Rise 360 code and is meant for advanced users only.
Understanding the driverOptions.js File
The driverOptions.js file is a small, easy-to-edit file that lets you change the SCORM driver settings for your exported Rise content. Previously, SCORM driver settings could be changed only in the scormdriver.js file.
The driverOptions.js file is located in the scormdriver folder of AICC, SCORM 1.2, SCORM 2004, and cmi5 Rise exported content (xAPI currently doesn't have this feature). The current version of the driverOptions.js file came into use in August 2021. If you don't see the file, or see a file that looks different from these instructions, then you'll need to export your course again to add or update the file.
The driverOptions.js file overrides any changes you've made to the default SCORM Driver configuration variables located in the scormdriver.js file. For example, if you change the FORCED_COMMIT_TIME in the scormdriver.js, the driverOptions.js file overwrites those changes. That's why it's a good idea to first check the driverOptions.js file before you change any settings in the driver itself!
Default Driver Options
Currently, the options available in the driverOptions.js file are:
- APPID—application ID for Rise 360, do not modify
- CLOUDURL—SCORM Cloud configurable only, do not modify
- USE_STRICT_SUSPEND_DATA_LIMITS—allows suspend data to exceed AICC/SCORM 1.2/SCORM 2004 restrictions. If set to true, suspend data is prevented from being sent to the LMS if it exceeds export-type specifications.
- SHOW_DEBUG_ON_LAUNCH—enables LMS debug mode if set to true.
- FORCED_COMMIT_TIME—how often data is committed to the LMS, in milliseconds
- strLMSStandard—the LMS standard used to export the course, do not modify
- REVIEW_MODE_IS_READ_ONLY—when set to false completion data is sent to the LMS, even if the course is already completed/passed
- USE_LEGACY_IDENTIFIERS_FOR_2004—used when an LMS doesn't properly translate machine code in reports
You can easily add additional options to the file if the one you want to change isn't included by default.
Configuring the File
- Export your Rise 360 course as a cmi5, SCORM, or AICC package and save it to your computer.
- Extract the zip package containing your course, then open the scormdriver folder.
- Open the driverOptions.js file in your preferred plain text editor (such as Notepad).
- Edit the settings in the file as needed. If you'd like to add a variable that isn't in the file, add it after the last listed variable (the order doesn't actually matter, but it's helpful for keeping track). Add scope. to the new variable and enter the setting's value after the = symbol, following the examples of the other variables. Make sure your new value is entered within the brackets.
For example, if you wanted to add the SCORE_CAN_ONLY_IMPROVE setting and set it to false, enter scope.SCORE_CAN_ONLY_IMPROVE = false; below the last option in the file. Like this:
- Once your edits are complete, save and close the file.
- Zip the files (not the folder) for your Rise 360 course and upload the modified zip package to your LMS.