Leverage existing content by importing Articulate Quizmaker '09 quizzes into Articulate Storyline. Here's how:
Note: Articulate Quizmaker '09 does not need to be installed to import quizzes into Storyline.
Importing Quizmaker Quizzes
- If you are getting ready to start a new project, you can click the Import Quizmaker option on the welcome screen, and then proceed to step 2 below.Or, at any time, you can click the round Articulate button in the upper left corner, scroll to Import, and select Quizmaker. Then proceed to step 2 below.Otherwise, start by opening the import dialog by doing any one of the following:
- Go to the Home tab, click New Slide, select the Import tab, and click the Quizmaker option.
- Go to the Insert tab, click New Slide, select the Import tab, and click the Quizmaker option.
- In Story View, right-click anywhere in the workspace, select New Slide, select the Import tab, and click the Quizmaker option.
- In Normal View, right-click anywhere in the left navigation pane, select New Slide, select the Import tab, and click the Quizmaker option.
- Then browse to and select the Quizmaker quiz that you want to import, and click the Open button.
- If you opened the wrong Quizmaker quiz or want to select a different quiz, click the ellipsis (…) button in the upper right corner to browse for another file.
- Storyline will display thumbnail images for all the slides in your quiz, divided into sections based upon the question groups to which they belong. Select the slides you want to import:
- By default, all slides will be selected and imported unless you specify otherwise. You can tell which slides are "selected" by their yellow outline
- To select or deselect a specific slide, simply click it, and the yellow outline will either appear or disappear to indicate its status.
- You can also use the Select All and None hyperlinks in the upper right corner to quickly select all the slides or to deselect all the slides at once.
- To select or deselect an entire question group and all the slides that it contains, simply click the question group name. The question group name and all the slides in that question group will either be highlighted in yellow to indicate that they have been selected to be imported, or the yellow highlighting will disappear to indicate that they will not be imported.
- To make navigation a little easier, you can also collapse and expand question groups by clicking the triangle to the left of each question group name. (Note that collapsing and expanding question groups does not impact whether they will be imported or not.)
- Use the Insert into scene drop-down list at the bottom of the window to specify where you want the Quizmaker quiz to be inserted in your story. You can insert it into a new scene, which is the default option, or you can choose an existing scene. If you choose to insert a new scene, use the Scene field to assign a name to the new scene.
- Click the Import button to complete the process.
Note: Question groups that are set to randomize in Quizmaker will be imported into Storyline as question banks. Question groups that are not set to randomize in Quizmaker will be imported into Storyline as normal slides in the selected scene.
After importing a quiz into Storyline, you can edit any question by navigating to the appropriate slide and then clicking the Edit button in the Question panel on the right side of the screen.
The editing interface will be familiar to Quizmaker users, since it is very similar. To learn more about the question editor, including scoring, number of attempts, feedback, branching, and adding media, check out this tutorial. When you've finished editing the question, click the Save & Close button to return to Normal View.
Assigning Result Slides and Adjusting Slide Properties
When you import a Quizmaker quiz into Storyline, the result slide from the quiz will automatically be imported as well, and each of your imported questions will be associated with that result slide in Storyline.
- Tip: After importing a Quizmaker quiz into Storyline, you'll need to edit the imported result slide to ensure that it includes all the options you want. The pass and fail result slides from Quizmaker get consolidated into a single result slide in Storyline, so some settings will not be selected in Storyline regardless of what is selected in Quizmaker, such as the options to display the user's score and the passing score .
Note that Storyline also supports multiple result slides in the same story, so you can change the result slide that is associated with each question at any time.
You can assign individual questions to a particular result slide when you're in Normal View by using the Results Slide drop-down list in the Question panel on the right side of the screen. You can assign each question to any of your existing result slides, or select None if you do not want this question to be included in any result slides.
For more information on creating and editing result slides, see this tutorial.
You can also assign multiple question slides to the same result slide all at once by switching to Story View, selecting the question slides you want to modify, and then using the Slide panel in the lower right corner of the window to adjust the properties for all the selected slides at the same time.
To learn more about adjusting slide properties, including result slides, take a look at this tutorial.
Customizing Feedback Layers
Storyline uses slide layers to provide feedback for each question. There are various types of feedback that you can provide your users, such as Correct, Incorrect, Try Again, Review, and Thank You.
Storyline will automatically generate some feedback layers for you, but you can add, edit, and delete them whenever you want. Just navigate to the question you want to modify, and then use the Slide Layers panel on the lower right side of the screen to manage your feedback layers.
- To modify an existing feedback layer, simply click the layer you want to edit, and then use the toolbar features to edit it as desired.
- Tip: If you would prefer to edit the feedback master instead of each feedback layer individually, go to the View menu, and select Feedback Master. To learn more about managing feedback masters and how to assign them to your question feedback layers, review this tutorial.
- To add a new feedback layer to a question slide, click the New Layer button (the icon that looks like a blank piece of paper) at the bottom of the Slide Layers panel.Go to the Home tab, click the Layout button, and assign the feedback layout that you want to use.
- To delete a feedback layer, click the layer you want to delete in the Slide Layers panel, and click the Delete button at the bottom of the panel.
You Might Also Want to Explore:
Adding Graded Questions and Survey Questions
Adding Result Slides
Controlling a Slide's Advance Behavior and Other Slide Properties
Adding and Editing Slide Layers
Using Feedback Masters
Using Question Banks