Articulate Storyline includes an easy way to publish your e-learning content for local use—such as if you need to deploy your course from a CD, DVD, or standalone computer.
Step 1: Enter Title, Description, and Folder Location
- On the Home tab of the Storyline ribbon, click the Publish button. (Or, from any other tab on the ribbon, you can click the small triangle under the Preview button, and then choose Publish.)
- When the Publish window appears, select CD.
- Check the text that appears in the Title field, and customize it if you like. This text defaults to the name of your Storyline file. If you change it, it'll change the title text that Storyline uses in the following places (but it won't change your actual file name):
- The folder that Storyline creates to contain your published output. For example, if the Title field contains the words MSDS Course, Storyline creates a new folder on your hard drive called MSDS Course Output when you publish.
- The browser title bar, when learners view your published course in a browser window.
- The top bar of your course player, if you've opted to include the title as one of the player features.
- The ellipsis button (...) next to the Title field allows you to open an additional window where you can enter some optional project information if you like. However, this information is really only used if you later republish your course for Web and some or all of your learners view the course on an iPad with the Articulate Mobile Player. If that's not your situation, you don't need to worry about entering anything in these fields. For more details on how the additional project info is used, see the tutorial on Publishing a Project for Web.
- The Description field, you can enter some descriptive text about your course if you like. (When you publish for CD or other local source, any text you enter here won't be visible to your learners, but it'll be saved as part of your project and you'll be able to see and edit it here if you return to the Publish window later. The description is visible to learners if you republish for a different destination, such as Web or LMS.
- In the Folder field, indicate the place on your computer where you want Storyline to create your published output. You can click the ellipsis button (...) to browse to a specific location. Storyline will create a new folder in that spot, with all the files needed to play your course.
- Important! Always publish to a local drive on your computer. Publishing to a network drive or a USB drive can create problems with your published output. After you publish your course to a local folder, you can burn it to a CD or DVD, or move it to some other local destination.
Step 2: Check Player Properties and Quality Settings
The Properties section of the Publish window allows you to make any last-minute changes to your course player, or to change the compression settings Storyline uses when publishing.
- The Player field shows the name of the player that Storyline will use when you publish. (The player is the interface that users see when they view your course, and it can include things like player controls, resources, a glossary, a menu, and other features.) Click the player name if you'd like to make some final adjustments to your player or switch to a different player. If you need help choosing your player settings, see the tutorials on Customizing the Storyline Player.
- The Quality field allows you to control the compression settings Storyline uses for any audio, video, and pictures you've added to your course. The settings here default to whatever you used the last time you published a Storyline project. To change the quality settings, click the blue text and change any of the fields as noted below; then click OK.
- Choose Standard if you want to use the default settings. If you mark this option, the values on the window revert back to their defaults (video quality of 5, audio bitrate of 48kbps, and image quality of 80%).
- Choose Custom if you want to define your own quality settings. Then click and drag the slider on any of the three values to change the compression. Using higher values means higher-quality output, but also larger file sizes (which means longer download times). Lower values mean smaller file sizes and faster download times, but the visual and audio quality will be lower as well.
Step 3: Publish
When you're finished making changes to the options on the Publish window, just click the Publish button.
Storyline creates your published output in the location you specified. When publishing is complete, you'll see the following pop-up, and you can choose whichever option suits you:
- View Project: This launches your course in your web browser so you can take a look at your output.
- Email: This opens up a new email message with a zipped file of your published output attached. This might be helpful if you need to share your course with an SME or other reviewers, or if you need to send it to someone who will place it in the location from which it'll be deployed.
- FTP: This pops up a window where you can enter your FTP credentials and transfer your output to your website. This probably isn't something you'd need or want to do, though, since you've chosen to publish for CD, which optimizes your content for local deployment instead of online deployment.
- ZIP: This creates a zipped file of your output in the location you specified on the Publish window.
- Open Folder: This opens a file viewer where you can see the files Storyline just created. There will be several folders and files, and the file that launches your course is called Launch_Story.exe. There’s also an autorun file, which causes your presentation to launch automatically if learners insert a CD or DVD containing your published output.
What Do I Do with My Published Files?
Now that you've published, you can burn the files to a CD or DVD, or copy them to whatever local destination from which you plan to deploy your course.
- Note: If you burn your course to a DVD, it must be played in a computer DVD drive. It will not function in a DVD player on a TV.