Storyline makes it easy to synchronize animations. After adding animations to your objects, you can open the timeline and either position objects on the timeline manually, or use cue points to synchronize them.
To change the timing of objects manually, just drag the objects left or right along the timeline to the points where you want them to appear.
You can also adjust the duration of an object if you want it to disappear before the end of your slide. Simply drag the right edge of that object along the timeline until you reach the point at which you want it to disappear (or animate out).
When you right-click an object on the timeline, you will also have the following additional options to help you manage the timing and duration of that object:
- Align to Cue Point: moves the object along the timeline so that its starting point lines up with the Cue Point # that you select. For more about how to use cue points, see Using cue points to synchronize animations below.
- Align To Playhead: moves the object along the timeline so that its starting point lines up with the current position of the playhead (red vertical line).
- Show Until End: displays the object until the end of the slide.
- Show Always: displays the object for the entire duration of the slide.
- Timing: allows you to specify the Start Time and Duration of the object (in seconds).
Using the Playhead to Synchronize Animations
Perhaps the quickest and easiest way to synchronize animations is to use the Align To Playhead feature. Here's how:
- On the slide where you want to sync animations, open the timeline.
- Press the Play / Pause button in the lower left corner of the timeline to begin playing your audio. Tip: You can also press the spacebar on your keyboard to quickly play / pause audio.
- When your audio reaches the point where you want an object to animate in, click the Play / Pause button again to pause the playback (or click the spacebar on your keyboard to pause the audio).
- Then right-click the object on the timeline that you want to animate in, and select Align To Playhead.
- Repeat steps 2-4 until you have synchronized the entire slide.
Using Cue Points to Synchronize Animations
Another way to sync animations is to use cue points. Cue points allow you to precisely align objects on the timeline.
You can add, delete, and move cue points on the timeline. Here's how:
- To add a cue point, right-click anywhere in the Timeline panel and select Create Cue Point At Playhead. Or, to add cue points on-the-fly, click the Play button in the lower-left of the timeline, and then press C on your keyboard at any point where you want to insert a cue point.When your cue points are in place, you can align objects with them by right-clicking an object, scrolling to Align to Cue Point, and selecting the appropriate Cue Point #.
- To delete a cue point, right-click the cue point marker on the timeline and select Delete Cue Point.
- To delete all cue points on a slide, right-click anywhere within the Timeline panel and select Delete All Cue Points.
- To move a cue point, drag it left or right along the timeline.
Learn More About the Timeline
For more information regarding the timeline's features and how to control the duration and timing of objects, check out this tutorial.