Articulate Storyline makes it easy to publish and upload courses to Articulate Online. (To learn more about our hosted learning management system, Articulate Online, click here.)
Step 1: Enter the Title and Description
- Go to the Home tab on the Storyline ribbon and click Publish.
- When the Publish window appears, select the Articulate Online tab on the left.
- Enter the course Title the way you want it to appear in your published output. It defaults to the name of your Storyline project file. (Changing the title won't affect the name of your project file.)
- Use the Description field to give learners a synopsis of your course. Currently, the course description appears in the Articulate Online user portal and on the information cards in the Articulate Mobile Player app.
Step 2 (Optional): Enter Additional Project Info for the Articulate Mobile Player
If learners will view your content on iOS devices with the Articulate Mobile Player app, you can add more project information by clicking the ellipsis button (...) next to the Title field, which opens the Project Info window.
- The Title and Description fields are the same as those on the Publish window.
- The image below the Title field will be the course thumbnail in the Articulate Mobile Player library. By default, Storyline uses an image of the first slide in your course, but you can choose a different image. Just click the blue slide title text, then select a different slide or click Picture from File to choose an image on your hard drive.
- Author, Email, Website, Duration, Date, and Version appear on the content information cards in the Articulate Mobile Player library.
- Identifier applies only to content published for LMS.
- Keywords aren't currently used. They'll be used in a future version of the Articulate Mobile Player app.
When you're finished customizing the project information, click OK to return to the Publish window.
Step 3: Choose HTML5 and/or Mobile Publishing Options
If learners will view content on a device that doesn't support Flash, like the iPad, use the following options to make your course viewable in HTML5, the Articulate Mobile Player app, or both.
- Include HTML5 output: This prepares your course so that it's viewable as HTML5 content. Bear in mind that not all web browsers handle HTML5 content equally. See this article for supported HTML5 browsers.
- Use Articulate Mobile Player for iOS or Android: This prepares your course so learners have the best possible viewing experience on iPads and Android tablets, using Articulate's free mobile player app.
- Allow downloading for offline viewing: This option is currently ignored when publishing to Articulate Online, since learners need to be online for the course to send tracking data to your account. (A future version of the Articulate Mobile Player may support offline viewing; at that time, this setting will be honored for courses you previously published.)
Step 4: Adjust Player Properties and Quality Settings
The Properties section of the Publish window lets you make last-minute changes to your course player and the compression settings Storyline uses when publishing.
- The Player field shows the name of the player currently assigned to the project. (The player is the interface that learners see around the perimeter of your slide content.) Click the player name if you'd like to make adjustments or switch to a different player. If you need help choosing your player settings, see this tutorial.
- The Quality field lets you control the compression settings Storyline uses for audio, video, and pictures in your course. The quality settings default to whatever you used the last time you published a course. To change them, click the blue text, make your adjustments, then click OK.
- Choose Standard if you want to use the default settings: video quality of 5, audio bitrate of 48kbps, and image quality of 80%.
- Choose Custom if you want to define your own quality settings, then drag the slider for any of the three values to change the compression. Using higher values gives you higher-quality output but also results in larger file sizes (which means longer download times). Lower values give you smaller file sizes and faster download times, but the visual and audio quality will be lower as well.
Step 5: Choose Reporting and Tracking Options
In the Properties section of the Publish window, click the Tracking field to open the following window, where you can choose how Articulate Online tracks and reports your learners' progress.
- Report status to AO lets you choose the wording that Articulate Online uses in reports for learners' statuses.
- Communicate resume data determines how Articulate Online handles resume data if you've enabled the resume feature in your player. Choose either of the following:
- On Course Complete: This communicates resume data when the learner closes the browser window in which they're viewing your course or when they reach the completion threshold that you set in the Tracking section (see #3 below).
- After Every Slide: This sends resume data when the learner advances to another slide. An added benefit of this method is that learners who experience an Internet disruption while taking your course will still be able to pick up where they left off without losing their progress. Keep in mind that because this option results in frequent communication between your course and Articulate Online, it increases network traffic, which can be significant if you roll out your course to many learners at the same time.
- In the Tracking section of the window, choose one of the following tracking options:
- Track using number of slides viewed: Use this option to specify how many slides learners need to view in order to complete the course.
- Track using quiz result: Use this option to track learners based on their quiz results. If your course has multiple quizzes, you'll need to pick just one result slide to use for tracking. (This option is grayed out if your course doesn't have any result slides.)
- Click OK to save your changes.
Step 6: Enter Your Articulate Online Credentials and Publish
To complete the process, enter your Articulate Online credentials (account URL, email address, and password) and click the Publish button.
Your course publishes and uploads to Articulate Online all at once. How fast this happens depends on the size of your course and your internet speed.
When the Publish Successful window appears, click Manage Content to open Articulate Online and manage the course you just uploaded.
If a firewall blocks you from publishing directly to Articulate Online, you can publish your course on your local computer and then manually upload it to Articulate Online. See this user guide for details.
Articulate Online has a maximum size limit of 500 MB per course. If you think you might be approaching that limit but aren't sure, here's how to check: publish the course on your local computer (see the link above) and then check the file size of the Storyline package that's generated.
Step 7: Distribute Your Published Course
When you give learners access to your Articulate Online content and they launch it, they'll see the right type of content based on the device and browser they're using.
- They'll see the Flash content if using a browser that supports it.
- If they're using an iPad and you marked the Articulate Mobile Player option when you published, the course will launch in the Articulate Mobile Player app. (If the app isn't already installed, they'll be prompted to install it.)
- If they're using an iPad and you didn't mark the Articulate Mobile Player option when you published, but you did include HTML5, they'll see the HTML5 output in mobile Safari.
- If they're using another browser that doesn't support Flash and you included HTML5, they'll see the HTML5 output. (Click here for a list of supported HTML5 browsers.)