When you make changes to a player, those changes get saved in the current project file. However, it's a good idea to save your custom players separately, so you can reuse them in other courses or share them with other content developers. In this tutorial, we'll show you how to save players, switch players, and share players.
Opening the Player Properties Window
To manage your players, go to the Home tab on the Articulate Storyline ribbon and click Player.
Saving Custom Players
To save a custom player, click Current Player on the ribbon and choose either of the following:
- Save: Use this option to save the player under its current name. If you haven't saved the player before, Storyline will ask you to enter a name.
- Save As: This saves a copy of the current player under a new name, which Storyline will prompt you to enter. This is a good option when you want to create variations of the same player later.
When you're finished, click OK to close the Player Properties window. If you click the X in the upper right corner of the window rather than clicking OK, your changes will be canceled. In other words, the X in the upper right corner performs the same function as the Cancel button.
When you save a player, it gets stored as an *.xml file on your local hard drive, and it gets added to the list of available players you can apply to any course. Custom player *.xml files are stored here:
To switch the player that's applied to your course, click Current Player on the ribbon, scroll to Open, and choose a player.
The default Storyline Player will always appear in the Built-In section at the top of the list. Your Custom players will appear below that.
Sharing Players (Exporting Players)
If you want to share a custom player with a colleague or transfer it to a different computer, export a copy of its *.xml file. Here's how:
- Click Current Player on the ribbon and choose Export.
- Browse to the location where you want to save the player.
- Click Save.
Send the *.xml file to the other developer or computer, and see the next section for instructions on importing it into Storyline.
Using Players That Have Been Shared with You (Importing Players)
If someone gives you an *.xml file for a custom player, here's how to import it into Storyline:
- Click Current Player on the ribbon and choose Import.
- Browse to the *.xml file for the player you want to import and click Open.
- This applies the player to your current project. To use the same player in other courses, save it separately.
If you no longer need a custom player you previously saved, you can delete it.
- Click Current Player on the ribbon, scroll to Open, and choose the player you want to delete (to temporarily apply it to the current course).
- Click Current Player again, and this time choose Delete.
This deletes the player and reverts the current course back to the default Storyline player. If any existing courses happen to use the player you deleted, it'll remain saved in those specific projects; it just won't be available for new projects.
Undoing Changes You've Made to a Player
Let's say you've saved a custom player and made some additional modifications to it, but you haven't yet saved the latest changes. If you want to revert back to the previously saved version of the player, click Current Player and choose Reset.