It's easy to synchronize animations in Articulate Storyline. In this tutorial, we'll look at three ways to sync entrance and exit animations. (To learn how to sync motion path animations, see this tutorial.)
Manually Adjusting the Timing and Duration of Objects
One way to sync entrance animations is to change the timing of objects manually. Just drag objects left or right along the timeline to adjust when they appear (or animate in).
To sync exit animations, just change the duration of objects. Drag the right edge of an object along the timeline to adjust when it disappears (or animates out).
When you right-click an object on the timeline, you'll see additional options for managing timing and duration:
- Show Until End displays the object until the end of the slide.
- Show Always displays the object for the entire duration of the slide.
- Timing lets you specify the Start Time and Duration of the object (in seconds).
Using the Playhead to Sync Animations
Perhaps the quickest and easiest way to synchronize animations is to use the Align to Playhead feature. Here's how:
- Go to the slide where you want to sync animations and open the timeline.
- Click the Play/Pause button in the lower left corner of the timeline to play the slide audio.
- When your audio reaches the point where you want an object to animate in, click the Play/Pause button again to pause the playhead (blue vertical line). Tip: You can also press the spacebar on your keyboard to play/pause.
- Right-click the object on the timeline that you want to animate and select Align to Playhead.
- Repeat steps 2–4 until you've synchronized the entire slide.
Using Cue Points to Sync Animations
Another way to sync animations is to use cue points. Cue points let you precisely align objects on the timeline.
First, you'll need to place cue points on the timeline where you want animations to occur (see details below). Then, right-click each object on the timeline, scroll to Align to Cue Point, and choose a cue point.
Here's how to add, delete, and move cue points on the timeline:
- To add a cue point, right-click anywhere in the Timeline panel and select Create Cue Point at Playhead.
Tip: To add cue points on the fly, click the Play button in the lower left corner of the timeline, then press C on your keyboard at any point where you want to insert a cue point.
- To delete a cue point, right-click the cue point marker and select Delete Cue Point.
- To delete all cue points on a slide, right-click anywhere in the Timeline panel and select Delete All Cue Points.
- To move a cue point, drag it left or right along the timeline.
You Might Also Want to Explore:
Syncing Motion Path Animations
Working with the Timeline