Engage ’09 allows you to record, import, or edit audio using the built-in audio feature.
To record audio, click the Record button. To import an audio file, click the Import Audio button.
To record audio in Engage ’09:
- Click the Record button in the Audio panel to begin recording.
- The audio status bar changes from a status of No Audio (or Ready if you have existing audio) to Recording and the time will begin counting.
- Click the Stop button to stop recording.
- Click the Play button to review the audio you just recorded.
- Click the Delete button to delete recorded (or imported) audio or just click the Record button to overwrite existing audio with the new recording.
Other options in the Record Audio pane include Edit audio, Narration script, and Import audio file. To learn more, see below for each of these features.
To import audio in Engage ’09:
- Click the Import audio file icon.
- The Open window will appear, and you can either browse to the audio file (.MP3 or .WAV format) and select it, or you can type the name in the file name field.
- Click Open to import the audio file.
Engage ’09 includes a built-in audio editor. To edit audio in Engage ’09:
- Click the Edit audio icon.
- Use the audio editor to perform the following actions:
Save & Close
Save & Close will save your audio and close the Articulate Audio Editor, bringing you back to your interaction.
Cut: Click and drag with your mouse on a selection of the waveform, then click Cut in order to cut the selection from the waveform and put it on the clipboard. Keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+X.
Copy: Click and drag with your mouse on a selection of the waveform, then click Copy in order to copy the selection to the clipboard. Keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+C.
Paste: Click in the waveform on the desired location and click Paste where you want the contents of the clipboard to be pasted. Keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+V.
Import: Select this option from the toolbar or from the Articulate menu to import existing audio into the current position in waveform. Navigate to the desired audio file (.MP3 or .WAV), select it, and click Open to import the file, or Cancel to exit without importing the file.
Export: Select this option from the Articulate menu to export audio into a .WAV or .MP3 file. After clicking Export, choose to export the audio to .WAV or .MP3 (or to Both .WAV and .MP3), then specify the folder to which you would like to export the audio track. You can Create New Folder or specify an existing folder. Click OK to export the audio track, or Cancel to cancel the export process.
Delete: Click and drag your mouse to select a specific section of your waveform, then click the Delete button to delete the selection. You will not be prompted to confirm your deletion. Keyboard shortcut: Delete.
Crop: Click and drag your mouse to select a specific section of your waveform, then click the Crop button to delete all of the audio except that which you have selected. You will not be prompted to confirm the Crop action.
Silence: Click the Silence button or right-click in the desired location in your waveform and select Insert Silence to launch the Insert Silence dialog. Specify the Duration of silence to insert by inputting the numeric value of the desired silence in seconds, up to the 1,000th decimal (for example, 5.584s), or by using the up and down arrows to specify the value. Click OK to insert the specified duration of silence into the current location, or Cancel to exit without inserting silence. You can also click and drag to select an area of your waveform, then right-click to Silence Selection. Note that this will add silence to that part of the timeline but will not change the total audio duration.
Volume: Specify a section of your waveform (or all of it), then click the Volume button to open the Change Volume dialog, where you can use the slider to Increase or decrease volume by X%. Click and drag the slider to specify the desired volume change (on a scale of -100% to 100%), then click OK to apply the volume change or Cancel to exit without changing the volume.
Show All: Click the Show All button to show the entire waveform for all recorded or imported audio in the interaction.
Zoom Selection: Click and drag your mouse on a specific selection of your waveform, then click the Zoom Selection button to zoom in on the selection.
Options (Not available on Windows Vista or later)
Sound Playback: Select the default device from the dropdown menu for sound playback.
Sound Recording: Select the default device for sound recording. Select the recording line volume you would like to adjust (default is Mic Volume). Adjust the volume slider left (minimum) or right (maximum) to set the volume level for recording.
- Click the Save & Close button to save your changes and exit the audio editor, or click the red X in the upper right-hand corner (or under the Articulate Button) to close and be given the option to save your changes. Click Yes to save and exit, No to discard your changes, or Cancel to take no action and return to the audio editor.
Engage ’09 gives you the option to use a narration script when working with audio. To use the narration script in Engage ’09:
- Click the Narration Script icon.
- Type, edit, or paste you script into the window.
- Begin recording your audio (see above section on Recording Audio).
- Click Close when you are done (your script is automatically saved).