You may find that the Exit tab doesn't function as expected in an Articulate Presenter course. There are few possible reasons for this behavior. See the following for solutions.
Security restrictions in some modern web browsers (such as Firefox) prevent windows from closing themselves, so the Exit tab may not close the browser window. To work around this restriction, configure your course player to launch in a new window:
- Go to the Articulate tab on the PowerPoint ribbon, and click Player.
- Click Other on the ribbon.
- Mark the box to Launch player in new window (creates launch page).
- Click OK to save the change, and republish.
Mobile Safari in iOS 8
With the release of iOS 8, Apple no longer allows code to close mobile Safari browser tabs. As a result, the Exit tab in Presenter courses won't work. Learners will need to close the browser tab to exit the course if they're using an iPad or iPhone running iOS 8.
When publishing for Web or LMS, upload your content to a server for proper testing. Viewing content on your local hard drive will encounter various security restrictions, and some features won't work.
If you publish for Web and use hyperlinks in existing pages to launch the presentation.html file, we recommend configuring your links to open in a new tab or window. To do so, add the target attribute to your HTML hyperlinks. Here's an example:
<a href="http://www.myserver.com/presentation1/player.html" target="_blank">Link to Presenter course</a>
By opening your links in a new tab or window, you'll avoid browser security restrictions that could prevent the Exit tab from working properly.
Learning Management Systems
When publishing for LMS, test your content in your LMS. When you view a course that was published for LMS on your local hard drive, the Exit tab won't work.
If it doesn't work after uploading the course to your LMS, try the following:
- Locate the Configuration.js in the following directory, depending on your version of Windows:
32-bit Windows: C:\Program Files\Articulate\Articulate Studio\content\lms
64-bit Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Articulate\Articulate Studio\content\lms
- Make a copy of the Configuration.js file for backup purposes.
- Open the Configuration.js file in a text editor, such as Notepad.
- Change this line: var EXIT_BEHAVIOR = “SCORM_RECOMMENDED”;
To: var EXIT_BEHAVIOR = “ALWAYS_CLOSE”;
- Save and close Configuration.js.
- Republish your course, and upload it to your LMS.
If the Exit tab still doesn't work, try changing the line in step 4 to: var EXIT_BEHAVIOR = “ALWAYS_CLOSE_TOP”;