If you have published your Quizmaker '09 quiz for SCORM 2004 3rd Edition and one or more questions in your quiz include more than 250 characters, you may encounter one of the following errors in your LMS:
A fatal error has occurred, communication with the server has been lost.
Index out of range.
SCORM 2004 3rd Edition specifies a limit of 250 characters for questions. Quizmaker '09 does not impose this limit on questions. If your LMS is generating errors in this situation, you can correct it in one of the following ways:
Do not exceed 250 characters
Ensure that your quiz questions do not exceed 250 characters to avoid this LMS error.
Use an additional text box for more than 250 characters
If a question requires more than 250 characters, use a text box for the additional characters. Here's how:
- Open your quiz in Quizmaker '09.
- Double-click the question to open it.
- Click the Slide View button on the toolbar.
- Reduce the question text to the first 250 characters (or less).
- Select the Insert tab.
- Click the Text Box button on the toolbar.
- Click on your question slide below the existing question text to create a new text box.
- Type the additional text required to complete your question.
- Click the Save & Close button on the toolbar.
When you use an additional text box, be aware that only the text that appears in the question field will be sent to the LMS. The additional text in the new text box will not be sent to the LMS.
Turn off interaction reporting
By turning off interaction reporting, the quiz score and status will be communicated to the LMS. However, the individual questions will not be reported to the LMS, thereby avoiding the errors that can occur when questions include more than 250 characters.
Note: The following method is not supported by Articulate.
Publish your quiz for LMS.
- On the Publish Successful dialog, click the Open Folder button.
- In the published output, open the lms folder.
- Open the Configuration.js file in a text editor, such as Notepad.
- Perform a search for the following text:
var DO_NOT_REPORT_INTERACTIONS = false;
- Change it to:
var DO_NOT_REPORT_INTERACTIONS = true;
- Save the change to the Configuration.js file.
- Upload the published quiz to your LMS.