Use the free Articulate Online API to expand the capabilities of your Articulate Online account.
What’s an API and What Can It Do for Me?
In its simplest terms, an API, or Application Programming Interface, is technology that lets one application communicate with another. Leveraging an API can simplify your business methods, automate data transfer, and more.
For example, do you sell the Articulate-powered training or quiz content you create? Do you use Articulate Online to deliver your training to your clients, but you’re tired of manually creating new users who purchase training via your e-commerce site?
If this scenario sounds familiar, then the Articulate Online API is for you.
Likewise, maybe your organization uses Articulate Online to manage internal employee training, and you’re looking for a way to automate the communications between your Articulate Online account and your ERP.
The Articulate Online API can help with that.
For you programmers, here’s a more technical description from the Articulate Online API documentation:
The Articulate Online API can be used to integrate your own web applications with Articulate Online. The Articulate Online API is a SOAP/XML web service based API that can be called from .NET, PHP, Java, or your platform of choice.
What Are Common Uses for the Articulate Online API?
Although the sky’s the limit in terms of your creativity in leveraging the API, here are some common uses for the Articulate Online API:
- Integration of user data with 3rd-party applications such as front-end e-commerce systems
- Enhanced automation of user and group creation and management
- Ability to automate content permissions
- Passing login information to the application (for automated login)
Example: See sample code for automating user logins here.
How Do I Enable the API for My Articulate Online Account?
Here's how to enable API access in your Articulate Online account:
- Sign in to your Articulate Online account as an administrator.
- Click Settings at the top of the window.
- Click Other Settings at the bottom of the window.
- Check the box to Enable API access.
- Click Save.