The Tabbed Image interaction lets learners explore a series of items related to an image or diagram. Use the Tabbed Image interaction to:
- Walk through a list of related concepts.
- Explain significant parts of a graphic.
- Identify members of a group.
Exploring the Editor
The Tabbed Image editor has three columns with the following panels:
- Steps: Located on the left side of the screen, this panel is used to manage tabs for your interaction.
- Preview: Located at the top of the middle section, this panel is used to preview the layout of your interaction.
- Text: Located at the bottom of the middle section, this panel is used to add text to each tab.
- Audio: Located in the upper right corner of the editor, this panel is used to add and edit audio.
- Media: Located in the lower right corner, this panel is used to add pictures, characters, videos, and Flash files.
Here are some tips for working with the editor:
- Change the width of a column by dragging its boundary with your mouse.
- Expand the text panel by dragging its top boundary upward if you need more room to work with text.
- Click the triangle in the upper right corner of the Audio panel to collapse it if you need more room to work with the Media panel. Click it again to reopen the panel.
Switching to a Different Image
To change the image for your interaction, do the following:
- Go to the Tabbed Image tab on the ribbon, and click Change Image.
- Browse to the image you want to use, and click Open.
Changing the Size and Position of the Image
To change where the image appears in your interaction, do the following:
- Go to the Tabbed Image tab on the ribbon, and click Position.
- Select Left, Right, Top, or Bottom.
To choose how much room the image occupies on the screen, go to Interaction Properties, and enter a percentage between 30 and 75. The image will scale down if you choose a percentage that makes it smaller than its original dimensions; however, it won't scale up if you choose a percentage that would make it larger than its original dimensions. (Note that you can also change the position of the image in Interaction Properties.)
Tip: The content for each tab in your interaction will appear on the opposite side of the screen from the image.
Each step in a Tabbed Image interaction is called a tab. To add a tab, do any of the following:
- Press Ctrl+M.
- Go to the Tabbed Image tab on the ribbon, and click Add Tab.
- Click the Create a new step button in the lower left corner of the Steps panel.
- Click the Duplicate button at the bottom of the Steps panel to copy the currently selected tab(s).
New tabs get added just below the tab that's currently selected in the Steps panel—unless the summary is selected, in which case new tabs get added above it.
Tip: A Tabbed Image interaction can have up to 19 tabs (not counting the introduction and summary).
To rename a tab, do either of the following:
- Double-click the tab in the Steps panel to open it for editing. Enter the new name, and press the Enter key.
- Select the tab in the Steps panel, and type the new name in the title field at the top of the text panel.
Tip: You can rename the introduction or summary in the same way.
To change the order of tabs, select one or more tabs in the Steps panel, and do any of the following:
- Drag them to a new location. An orange line will move with your mouse to indicate where the tabs will be when your mouse is released.
- Go to the Tabbed Image tab on the ribbon, click Move Tab, and select either Up or Down.
- Use the Up and Down arrows at the bottom of the Steps panel.
Note: The introduction and summary can't be moved.
To delete a tab, select it in the Steps panel or the preview panel, and do any of the following:
- Press the Delete key on your keyboard.
- Go to the Tabbed Image tab on the ribbon, and click Delete Tab.
- Click the Delete button at the bottom of the Steps panel.
Tip: You can't delete the introduction or summary, but you can hide them.
Adding Content to Tabs
To add text, audio, and media to each tab, see the following tutorials:
Changing the Numbering Style
To change the numbering style for the navigation buttons in your Tabbed Image interaction, do the following:
- Go to the Tabbed Image tab on the ribbon, and click Interaction Properties.
- Select the Tabbed Image tab on the left side of the window.
- Choose a numbering style from the Number steps using drop-down.
- Click OK.
You Might Also Want to Explore:
Working with the Interaction Title
Adjusting Interaction Properties