Drag, drop, repeat. Learners can test their knowledge with sorting activity blocks, sorting items into categories with fun drag-and-drop interactions.
Sorting activities are ungraded, but learners see feedback as soon as they drop items onto categories. A check mark appears when an item is dropped on the correct target, then the item disappears. If learners drop an item on the wrong target, it momentarily shakes, then returns to its starting position so they can try again. Once they’re finished, they’ll see how many they got right on the first attempt.
- Insert a Sorting Activity Block
- Add and Modify Categories and Items
- Customize the Block Settings
Step 1: Insert a Sorting Activity Block
- Open a Rise course, then edit an existing lesson or create a new one.
- Select sorting from the blocks shortcut bar.
- Click the insert block icon that appears when you mouse-over a boundary between blocks.
- From the sidebar that appears, choose the Interactive category in the block library, then select Sorting Activity.
Step 2: Add and Modify Categories and Items
You can add up to four categories to your interaction and an unlimited number of items in each category.
- Mouse-over your sorting activity block and click the Edit button that appears.
- Modify the title of each sample category and the text of each sample item. Items can have up to 80 characters of text. Learn more about character limits.
- Click the Add Item button to add more items in each category.
- Click the New Category button to add more categories.
- To delete a category or item, hover over it and click the garbage bin icon that appears.
- Click Close in the upper right corner to return to your block lesson.
Step 3: Customize the Block Settings
In addition to customizing the content, you can modify how the block itself displays.
- Mouse-over your sorting activity block and click the Settings button that appears.
- Increase or decrease the top and bottom padding using the appropriate drop-down menus.
- Add a background color by entering the hex code or manually selecting a color.
- Click the X in the upper right corner of the sidebar to close it.
Want to require learners to complete a sorting activity block? It's easy! Just add a continue block after your sorting activity.