See Also: Local Playback of Published Content Doesn’t Work with Flash Player 23 and Later
If you view an Articulate Storyline course on your local hard drive (or send it to someone else to view on their local hard drive), you'll encounter security restrictions from the computer, web browser, Flash Player, and network that'll cause various features of your course to fail. To properly test your course and share it with others, upload it to a web server or LMS.
If you don't need to track course completion for your learners, then web publishing is a good option. To learn how to publish Storyline content for web distribution, see this tutorial.
After publishing, do any of the following:
- Use the FTP option on the Publish Successful dialog to upload the published files to a web server.
- Use your own FTP client to upload the published files to a web server.
- Give the published files to your server administrator to upload to a web server.
After uploading your published content to a web server, give learners the URL for the story.html file.
If you don't have access to a web server, here are some free options:
- Tempshare is a free service provided by Articulate for testing Storyline content. Note that uploaded files will be deleted after 10 days.
- Amazon S3 offers free hosting with generous usage limits. If you go over your limit, you'll be charged a small fee. See this video tutorial by Tom Kuhlmann to learn more about Amazon S3.
- Google Cloud also has a free hosting service. You'll be charged a small fee if you go over the free limit. See this video tutorial by Ton Kuhlmann to learn more about Google Cloud.
Articulate Online is an easy way to host your Articulate content and track results. To learn how to publish Storyline content to Articulate Online, see this tutorial.
To invite learners to view content in Articulate Online, see this tutorial.
If you're using a learning management system (LMS) to distribute your Storyline content and track results, publish for LMS, then click the Zip option on the Publish Successful dialog. Upload the zip file to your LMS and give learners the URL for your course.
If you need to distribute your Storyline content offline, publish for CD.
After publishing, do any of the following to share it with others. (Tip: Double-click the Launch_Story.exe file in the published output to view the course.)
- Burn the published output to a CD.
- Burn the published output to a DVD.
- Copy the published output to a USB drive.
- Zip the published output and copy it to a network drive. (Learners must extract it before viewing.)
- Zip the published output and email it to others. (Learners must extract it before viewing.)