Here are the new features and bug fixes we've added to Storyline 3 since its initial launch. Updates are free for Storyline 3 licensees. Download the latest update here.
August 16, 2018 (Build 3.5.16548.0)
- Enhanced: The variables window is now resizable so it's easier to manage lots of variables in a bigger window.
- Enhanced: Storyline 3 users can now open Storyline 360 project files that use the modern player style. Compatibility details here.
- Enhanced: The "Browser size" player property is now dependent on the "Launch player in new window" property. Many modern web browsers don't allow you to programmatically control the size of the browser window unless you first open content in a new window. Learn more.
- Fixed: We improved the performance of the Storyline editor so it no longer slows down when multiple slide layers are visible at the same time.
- Fixed: Learners couldn't print slides when viewing HTML5 courses in Internet Explorer 11 or Microsoft Edge.
- Fixed: Courses are no longer blurry when you preview them in Storyline or view the HTML5 output in Google Chrome.
- Fixed: Audio on the first slide of an HTML5 course wouldn't autoplay when viewing the published output on your local computer in Google Chrome.
- Fixed: Audio would sometimes mute when dragging the seekbar in HTML5 output.
- Fixed: The play button that allows courses with media on the first slide to play in Google Chrome and Safari wasn't keyboard accessible. Now learners can tab to the play button and press the spacebar or Enter key to activate it.
- Fixed: Disabled buttons could be triggered with keyboard navigation.
- Fixed: To keep courses from timing out when idle, HTML5 output would send a message to the LMS every 60 seconds, regardless of the actual frequency defined by the FORCED_COMMIT_TIME variable in the Configuration.js file.
- Fixed: HTML5 courses could hang or freeze after closing a lightbox or when layers had certain animations (bounce, spin, spin and grow, swivel).
- Fixed: Illustrated characters could flicker or blink when changing states or expressions.
May 8, 2018 (Build 3.4.15731.0)
- Enhanced: We added support for Google Chrome 66. If audio or video content in your Storyline course stopped working in Chrome 66, install the latest update and republish.
- Enhanced: Since Apple no longer allows videos to autoplay by default in Safari 11, learners now see a play button when they launch or resume a course with a video on the first slide. Clicking the play button allows the video to play as expected. Learn more.
- Fixed: Storyline could become sluggish or display a low memory error, especially after several hours of use. We found a memory leak and fixed the problem. We're sorry for the frustration it caused. And thank you to everyone who reported it!
- Fixed: Closed captions could overlap for back-to-back audio clips on the same slide, and hidden characters in closed captions could cause the publishing process to fail.
- Fixed: File names wouldn't appear when hovering over audio tracks in the timeline panel.
- Fixed: In some cases, HTML5 courses could get stuck or stop advancing.
- Fixed: Hebrew characters could be out of sequence or spaced incorrectly in HTML5 output in Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.
- Fixed: Player text labels had incorrect Czech translations.
March 6, 2018 (Build 3.3.15007.0)
- New: The new text-rendering engine for Storyline 3 allows text to flow beautifully with consistent spacing and readability on every device. And learners will always see the correct fonts for variable references and data-entry fields in HTML5 output. Learn more about modern text.
- Enhanced: Storyline 3 users can now open Storyline 360 project files that have text-to-speech narration, random number variables, and course completion triggers. Compatibility details here.
- Fixed: Published content stored on your local computer wouldn't play in Google Chrome 64 and later.
- Fixed: We fixed some drag-and-drop issues in HTML5 output, such as drag items that wouldn't drop on targets, interactions that were marked as correct even when learners answered incorrectly, and hover colors that were wrong.
- Fixed: We fixed some triggers that didn't work consistently in HTML5 output, including key-press, hover, and click-outside triggers that didn't fire when expected.
- Fixed: Right-click triggers displayed a context menu in some HTML5 browsers.
- Fixed: We fixed some HTML5 quizzing issues, such as the Review Quiz button not working when a course was set to never resume, matching drop-down choices that overlapped during quiz review, and question banks that displayed the same set of questions after three quiz attempts.
- Fixed: We fixed some issues with HTML5 output in Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge, such as flickering that appeared when navigating between slides and crashing that occurred when text had shadow effects.
- Fixed: Videos wouldn't replay when revisiting slides in HTML5 output in Firefox.
- Fixed: Lots of videos in a course could cause slides to lag or lock up in HTML5 output, and they could be sized or positioned incorrectly during preview.
- Fixed: Audio continued to play in HTML5 output when switching to another browser tab, causing animations to become unsynchronized.
- Fixed: JAWS screen readers would announce selected answer choices as "not checked" in HTML5 output.
- Fixed: Zoom regions wouldn't work in HTML5 output when they were set to start at the beginning of slides, and they wouldn't always return to their initial states when revisiting slides.
- Fixed: Data-entry fields didn't have focus when slides loaded in HTML5 output, so learners had to click inside them before entering text.
- Fixed: We fixed some issues that could occur after upgrading project files to Storyline 3, such as blank slides, white borders around slides, and brief flashes or flickers between slides in HTML5 output.
- Fixed: In the responsive mobile player, the seekbar was interactive even when it should have been read-only and the course menu would sometimes jump to the wrong slide.
- Fixed: Closed captions in Flash output didn't display special characters, such as accented letters and apostrophes, and the captions were the wrong size after changing the player font size.
- Fixed: We fixed some LMS issues, including accented letters in course titles that were replaced by question marks in SCORM output and courses tracked by the number of slides viewed reporting a Passed status rather than a Completed status.
- Fixed: When the audio editor was zoomed in, you couldn't always delete portions of the waveform, and the waveform might be out of sync with the audio.
September 11, 2017 (Build 3.2.13213.0)
- New: Create and edit closed captions right in Storyline 3. Fine-tune imported captions or quickly add new ones with the help of caption placeholders that are already synced with your audio and video content.
- New: Localization just got easier. Storyline 3 now supports XLIFF 1.2 and 2.0, which work with more translation tools and give translators more information.
- Enhanced: When you restrict or lock navigation, you can now choose whether it impacts just the course menu or also disables the Previous and Next buttons. And you can use triggers to override restricted navigation for individual slides. Learn more.
- Enhanced: Courses published for CD are now HTML5-only, so learners no longer need Flash plugins.
- Fixed: JAWS screen readers wouldn't always read text in the notes panel.
- Fixed: Flash output wouldn't play in Internet Explorer with Compatibility View enabled.
- Fixed: Text would sometimes be missing after importing a translated Word document.
- Fixed: Sometimes Storyline would detect missing fonts when opening a project file even though the fonts were installed on the computer.
June 13, 2017 (Build 3.1.12115.0)
- New: Structure text with tables. Tables are a valuable accessibility feature, communicating to screen readers how data is organized and providing context for learners.
- Fixed: Storyline would crash when publishing on some computers with non-English system locales.
- Fixed: A slider's yellow sizing handles wouldn't change the size of the track or thumb as expected.
- Fixed: The Notes tab on the course player would always be visible in HTML5 output, even when it was disabled for individual slides.
- Fixed: The right edge of notes text could be cut off in HTML5 output.
- Fixed: The player color for Tab >> Selected Text wouldn't work in HTML5 output.
April 4, 2017 (Build 3.0.10762.0)
- New: Storyline 3 launched! Build any course you can imagine for any device imaginable—no programming needed.